A Little confused on Chlorine testing

May 18, 2010
Ok I am trying to figure out which test I am actually doing and where its supposed to be. I have a TF100 and everyday I am using the blue "Taylor" chlorine/Ph test kit. Which type of chlorine test is this CC, FC, or TC?? Either way, here are my numbers...keep in mind that I have added almost a whole jug of bleach in the past three days and my daily chlorine test (in the Taylor kit) never gets above 1. I have also added stabilizer yesterday to raise my CYA. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Powder chlorine test results are .5
Liquid chlorine test (from the small Taylor box) are 1
CYA was 0 yesterday but I added some Stab for it
TA is 80
Ph is about 7.5

The chlorine test in the Taylor K-1000, which comes inside the TF-100, is an OTO chlorine test, drops turn the sample yellow which is then compared to a color reference. The OTO test measures TC levels and is not especially precise. The OTO test is very good for a quick chlorine/no chlorine determination, but not so good at reading out a specific level.

Many people use the OTO test day to day just to make sure nothing has gone completely wrong, and then use the full FAS-DPD test (powder turns the sample pink, and then drops turn it clear again) once a week to see exactly where they really are and adjust how much chlorine gets added daily for the next week.

The water looks fine, I just filled the pool so its pretty fresh. I added about 2 lbs of Stabilizer through the skimmer (without the sock) and ran the pump for 24 hours. I have 1 27' Round 17000 Gallon pool with a Sta Rite 150 sq ft ModMedia filter and 1.5 hp pump. Ill look into the FC test tomorrow...not sure if ive done it yet....

Ok I just did the FC test and CC test....They were .5 each....The water also did not turn very pink, but it did change color a little bit. I am not going to test my CYA until the end of the week since I just added Stabilizer Sunday. Should I add a jug of bleach daily until my FC goes up to 2 or 3??? Also, the scoop the test is referring to is the small blue one included in the kit right?? Just wanted to be sure. Thanks in advance!

Yes, the small blue scoop.
You want to calculate how much bleach to add to reach 4ppm (it might be less than a jug, might be more) target that number each night which should keep you above your "min" which is 2ppm.
2 lbs would only increase your CYA by 14, so you should add another 2-4 lbs as soon as you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.