I think I need to boost TA and CH. How?

Bob47

May 22, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Been testing with a good kit for 7 days now. Everything has been pretty stable. Water looks great. The TA and CH have been dropping, though, and now I think I need to boost them after looking at the Pool Calculator. I have a 5lb container of Alkalinity Balance Control A.B.C. I bought before finding this site. It doesn't say what's in it. Is it just baking soda, as Pool School suggests it might be? Any idea if it's worth using? Here are my current numbers:

FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 80
CYA 50

TA started last week at 150. CH started at 100. PH hasn't budged since day 2, when it was 7.2. Been keeping FC between 4 and 8 as suggested here. CC has bounced from 0 to .5 to 1 and back.

Also, what is the best way to get the CH up? Pool Calc says calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. I haven't seen these is the pool store or the Home Depot. Where can I find it? Are there any other names I should look for?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Unless you have been getting an enormous amount of rain and running at low pH, your pH and CH haven't dropped that much in a week. They just don't change that quickly. People pay good money to have calcium removed from their pools. With a vinyl liner, unless you are having pH stability problems, just ignore them both. Read Recommended Levels
for more information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.