Ready to purchase a new Jandy, but need a longer horizontal

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Before I decide to purchase a Jandy self-install SWG and not have to deal with adding chlorine daily :whoot:, I want to make sure I can add a 1ft+ long horizontal piece of PVC required to install the cell. Unfortunately, I don't see where I could add it after the solar heater and before the pool/waterfall return. Typical rookie. Regardless, I feel capable of cutting and priming/gluing PVC, just need help with the where. See pics below.

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

The only piece I have to work with is the piece just behind the control panel. It is where the solar heated water Ts into the return piping at the 2-way waterfall valve, see the Jandy PDA receiver.

I'm not sure I am completely decoding the pictures correctly. But if I am following correctly, the horizontal pipe right behind the control panel is a good spot except that it isn't long enough. If so, I would cut most of that horizontal bit out, run new pipe up and then down again to rejoin the other side, and put the SWG on the downward flow side.

So I suppose I need to look at another manufacturer being the new Jandy Aquapure 35 chlorine generator requires "The cell must be installed on a 0.4 m (1 â…“ ft.) horizontal length of pipe after the heaters, pumps, and filters, as the last piece of equipment in the circulation plumbing system just before the pool."

I can definitely run vertically on the pool return pipe if I take your suggestion. I suppose other chlorine genrators allow you to run them vertically?

The Jandy AquaPure 700 and 1400 allow a vertical install, but the Ei does not. Most other brands allow vertical installs.

You could do something similar to what I described, but horizontal. However, in your particular situation that will be a little more complicated. It looks like you could run horizontally off to the side with the SWG on the top and the other pipe below it, but it would take more fittings than a vertical install.

I like your idea. I am shifting attention to the Pentair IntelliChlor IC 40. It seems to be economical for a first timer and looks fairly easy to install. The only issue I have with extending the return line vertically is they used a nub to connect a 45deg coupling to the valve, so nothing to work with there. And then they used a male/female 90deg coupling to connect to the 45deg union and the horizontal piece, which then goes down into the concrete to the pool. It seems like I have 2 options: cut below the 3-way and replace everything going straight up including the 3-way (no 45 to 90 bends); or cut the horizontal piece and go vertical with a 90deg coupling for a foot or so run, and then use angled couplings to go back down.

I hope that makes sense.

Those look like Jandy valves. They should accept a 2 1/2" pipe on the outside. If so, you cut off the existing pipe flush with the valve, then sand off the paint, then glue a 2 1/2" pipe over the outside, and then reduce back to 2" as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.