Water numbers

May 12, 2010
Here are my pool numbers, let me know if I am headed in the right direction please.

FC 6
CC 0
TC 6, if I'm understanding this correctly
PH 7.5
T/A 100
CYA 50
Pool Temp. 85 degrees. Last week I did a overnight FC test and had no chlorine loss :)

I do have a question.......I am not using any type of automatic chlorine dispenser. Is this okay, and does others handle their pool chemical this way? I am only doing the BBB method.

thanks!!!

Hi Clodda...
Goodness those numbers look pretty good to me so long as you are using a reliable test kit. I plugged everything into the pool calculator and your FC range is 4-8 so you're right there in the middle. My usage went up significantly this last week so I make sure I bring it to the upper number of my range every night and even bumped it a couple past while family was here visiting.
How does your water look?
As for your question...I do all my chemical additions manually an usually in the evening. I can't justify the expense of changing out my tablet feeder and adding an auto system nor can I go for a SWG. It's easy to add the chlorine for me. I'm also fortunate that I have a neighbor who used to have a pool and she's already said she has no problem checking on things while we are out of town and adding bleach.

If I were doing a new install I'd probably consider a SWG but I'm not worried about it now.

clodda43 said:
Here are my pool numbers, let me know if I am headed in the right direction please.

FC 6
CC 0
TC 6, if I'm understanding this correctly
Yup :goodjob:

clodda43 said:
PH 7.5
T/A 100
TA is slightly high. I suspect that your pH will tend to drift up. With application of MA to control pH the TA will come down naturally over time.
Without seeing your CH number it is impossible to tell where you really want to target your TA to keep CSI in range.

clodda43 said:
to reiterate what poolgirl22 said, with CYA = 50, your FC range is 4-8. This means you never want to drop below 4, so target the high end when you add chlorine (overshooting a little is OK).

clodda43 said:
Pool Temp. 85 degrees.
Jealous :(

clodda43 said:
I do have a question.......I am not using any type of automatic chlorine dispenser. Is this okay, and does others handle their pool chemical this way? I am only doing the BBB method.
Yup. Even though it seems like everyone on the forum has a SWCG, I bet us jug dumpers are in the majority,

Poolgirl22.......I bought the TF100 test kit. I was intimadated by it at first. I've had it for two weeks now and feel more comfortable with it. Still struggling with the bluebox kit, but only the yellow for the FC. My water is crystal clear and sparkling, it has never looked better. We let the pool store talk us into a perma salt system, cheaper, easier, blah, blah, blah. Not, it was double the cost because of our pool size. Funny how they forget to tell you those type of things up front. But we are now on the right track. I tell all our pool owner family and friends about TFP. I hope everyone has a great pool season.

Glad to hear you have a good test kit. It's my favorite purchase for the pool!
I rarely use the chlorine test in the blue box because it's Total Chlorine and I want to know Free Chlorine and Combine Chlorine individually and the yellow is just too hard to get a good distinction. I always use the FAS DPD because it's more accurate and for my pool there's a big difference between a FC of 5 and 10. I have to come up to at least 9 (my high end of target) each night because right now I'm back at 4.5-5.0 by days end. We are heavy pool users and I'm in full sun from 9 am to 7 pm.

You seem on the right track! Isn't it a great feeling? I, too, share this site with all my friends. Not sure how many of them come here, but I'm hooked! Have fun doing not so much to your pool! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.