Walmart Bleach - Suspect levels?

May 13, 2010
So when I first stumbled on this site a couple of weeks ago - I went for the Walmart bleach isle and subsequently figured out that either:

1 - the total volume of my pool must be slightly more than the pool calculator was suggesting; or
2 - Walmart's claimed 6% chlorine level in bleach is not quite what it should be.

I've now found a slightly cheaper (9 cents per 1.4 gallon) option - and it's name brand (chlorox). I went to dose based on the pool calculator and the net increase in FC levels were quite substantially higher.

Now granted, pool conditions are obviously not lab conditions, but I did notice a more yellow tinge and I couldn't help but notice a FC level that went higher and stayed higher... One would assume that if the label says 6% there would be relatively strict controls on that. But based on my experiences with Walmart from a supplier perspective I can't help but think that perhaps the suppliers being squeezed so hard would resort to slight dilution of the product.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

Bleach "spoils" sitting on the shelf. So, the turn over rate at the specific store is important, as is the manufacturer. Clorox produces bleach with a slightly higher than average concentration, so it will still be at least 6% even if it has been sitting around for a while.

Most WalMarts do fairly well at supplying fresh, full strength, bleach. But that does vary from store to store.

Ahhhh... I see.

Good to know.

The store in question seems to be turning it rather quickly. When I went there last weekend the shelves were completely empty. I have to wonder though if they didn't have a truckload of it from a couple of months ago that was in the back stockroom in the heat.

(mostly I'm just glad I"m not imagining it due to some sort of brainwashed brand recognition) :)

Thanks.

I finally decided it was time to take care of my pool myself. Thanks to this site; I get the chemistry. So I have been using the calculator and noticed that no matter how much Great Value Walmart (not chlorine-free) bleach I added, it didn't seem to raise the levels significantly. I kept adding more than the recommended amt from the calculator. Then I thought my pool is clear--maybe my testing kit is wrong--then noticed after shocking with powder stuff; kit worked just fine. So I made sure I stored fresh bought Walmart chlorine inside and decide to test it--it did not register any chlorine at all!! Alright tomorrow I will try another brand. I live in Arizona--any brand recommendations??

Hmm, I was sort of suspecting the same in my pool. I think I did notice that it smelled normal though. So I was not suspicious enough to test anything. I just switched to Clorox. I also have CYA a lot lower than normal and so that was also part of that. I may buy a Walmart jug here just to test it against Clorox.

We bought some Irish Spring bath soap from Walmart recently. One bar out of the 6 (so far) was clipped at the corner, maybe 15% missing. I know that Walmart pressures its suppliers to lower costs constantly. Apparently Irish Spring decided that cutting corners, literally, was what was required to get the contract.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.