Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Started conversion, but some questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Started conversion, but some questions

I started my conversion today. Water is at 15ppm. My question is there is a off white scum floating on the top. The water is also a pea soup color and I cannot see the bottom, but I expected this just not the scum. Pool is above ground 21in, 52 in deep.
    THANKS A TON FOR ANY HELP.
    Jen

2. Back To Top    #2

Some people find a lot of solids coming out of the pool during the conversion, and you should be vacuming to waste as much as possible.

You have the filter running 24/7 right?
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Hi, Jen,

Yeah, you might see a lot of strange things during conversion. The principle to remember is...STAY THE COURSE!. Keep you FC up there and keep vacuuming/skimming/filtering doing whatever it takes to get the junk out of your pool. That will only speed your process.

(the scum could be a result of algaecide or possible something else.....doesn't really matter....it's in there and you've got to get it out with the process you have started.)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks

I am running the filter all the time and vacuuming to waste as much as I can. I'll keep ya'll posted on how it is going.
    Thanks again
    Jen

5. Back To Top    #5
    Things seem to be going good. water is still green but I can see the bottom, and not as much scum. What does adding water do to the process?
    Jen

6. Back To Top    #6
    it will lower the concentration of the baqua in the pool, but you will still need to get it all out. So nothing really, except the increased gallonage will make you have to add more bleach to reach/maintain your shock level.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

7. Back To Top    #7
    I'm up to 21 containers of bleach. 10 of them were the regular size,11 of them were the big size. Is this extreme or is it different for everybody depending on how much baqu stuff is in there?
    Jen

8. Back To Top    #8
    pretty much normal. It can take a lot of chlorine to destroy all the biguanide.