Help with frog invaders, please!

Ashbourne

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2010
Western Piedmont, NC
I don't know whether it was the all-day heavy rain we had yesterday or what, but the frogs came out in droves last night (20+ in/around pool, it was so loud I could barely stand to stay outside) and now there are at least 5 in each skimmer and one big daddy swimming around in the open water. Several are having their sexy time in the skimmers.

I helped them get out when I cleaned the baskets this morning, but they made their way right back in of course.

We've always had plenty of frogs but their love for my pool seems to wax and wane throughout the summer...probably in accordance with the level of various chemicals in the pool, huh?

All the numbers are finally perfect, including my TA (I had been doing the MA thing this past week to get it down from 150 to 90) so is this just something I'm going to have to live with?

I searched the archives but didn't find any solutions, other than having a meeting with them (suggested by duraleigh), which I did last night. They obviously did not get the message so I'm hoping there's something else I can do to convince them to leave!

Do you have any lights shining on the pool at night? We once lived in a place and had a nightlight that shined on a garage wall and the frogs would flock to it. Apparently the light attracted the bugs and the bugs attracted the frogs. Shot the light out (really just had it turned off) and the frogs stopped coming.

Here is a couple of things to try

Spraying salt water around the pool will help for a bit but they tend to become accustomed to it after a few months. Depends on the type of frog. Works well for tree frogs.

Also Mothballs can keep some frogs away but not all

You can also try spraying vinegar around the deck. Smells but they dont like that either.

Last summer we had some frogs around the area, I bleached the deck and they never came back.

Make sure you get rid of their food source, if you have flies or gnats or any other critters, get rid of them and you will probably see the frogs go.

other than having a meeting with them (suggested by duraleigh), which I did last night.
Well, it was April Fool's Day and I just couldn't resist! :shock: :shock:

However, I was serious about the potential cure. I would elevate the FC levels and see what happens. I don't know if it would work or not but few of the "critters" in my yard seem to like my pool when it is really, really clean. It's inexpensive and worth a shot.

help-frogs-frog-eggs-everywhere-t17445.html?hilit=frogs

@Bama Rambler -

None shining directly on the pool - just a minor amount of ambient light from the back of our house (sun porch 10 feet from side of pool, but more often than not those lights are off at night) and the pool house which is about 12 feet from the deep end. It was pretty dark out last night with the cloud cover.

@duraleigh -

I missed that part, I got so engrossed in your tale :lol:

I will up the chlorine 25% and see how long that keeps them away. I definitely noticed last year (when I was shocking all the time because I had no idea what I was doing) that they didn't like the higher chlorine levels one bit.

Yes, I would try holding FC between 7-10ppm daily. That's certainly safe to swim in and will not be very much extra FC loss at all. You'll probably notice in a few days if it is effective. Again, I have nothing to back me up but some anecdotal experience.

Worst case is your pool will be sparkling.....BTW, that is a beatiful remodel job and pretty pool. :lol:

I have lots of frogs too. I don't really mind the little guys (not yet anyway), but they're not smart enough to avoid the pool after I shock it :(

Would setting up a stagnant kiddie pool nearby keep the frogs there?

Also, I think I've read all over the place that 4.0 ppm is the highest allowable level for chlorine. I know there's some grey area, but having more than double that amount is really okay to swim in? I am a brand new pool owner and member here, so I apologize if these were dumb questions :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just checking back in to let y'all know that bringing the chlorine level up to 8.0 has helped tremendously, so far - yesterday there were 1/2 as many in the skimmer, and this morning there were none. They're still around the pool at night, loudly, but at least they are not in it!

Thanks duraleigh :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.