Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
OK, so we got lazy and didn't do our regular checks. We went out of town to see family and got a call Friday night -

"A HOSE BLEW OFF YOUR POOL AND THE YARD IS FLOODING - WHAT DO WE DO???"

Thank goodness we have shut off ball valves at the skimmer and return. I told them to pull the plugs on any electrics and turn the valves shut. The water had gotten down to the last 1/2" of the skimmer so thankfully the pump had not cavitated before any damage was done.

We normally check all fittings, etc., at least once or twice a week but have busy and blew it off. We had big wind and it moved the hoses that run from the solar panels to the SWG and the fitting was just loose enough to blow off with the pump pressure.

BEWARE - BBB maintenance is not the only kind you need to do regularly!

I had a pressure gauge blow off the top of a DE filter, years ago. Quite an interesting water feature. It was like a geiser. Spray - stop - spray -stop. Other than that, knock on wood, I've not had anything break.

Lucky that someone knew how to get hold of you.

Mom,

Mr. Murphy came visiting while you were away, huh? He can be a pain in the arse, for sure. I'm glad you posted about this though, because I have a question about your ball valves. I've been thinking of adding ball valves at my skimmer and at my returns, and was wondering if you have to do anything special to winterize them, especially the ones for the returns. My pool has two returns, and the bottom return is always under water.

TIA,
Mike

We remove the plumbing from the valves to the hoses/pipes on outward (solar, pump, etc) The ball valves are left wide open so if any water does go in, it runs through. We did learn a lesson about the plastic/pvc valves though - use silicone lube in them because they get sticky and can close ALMOST all the way but not ALL the way - what good is that. If you turn too hard, they are ruined. A good coating of silicone lube before installation, at closing and at opening each year makes a world of difference - they work great and have saved us many times when work is required (replacing or adding plumbing, etc) We got ours at Lowes for fairly cheap compared to the ones they sell at the pool store in Fargo.

Unfortunately I can't leave the valve for my lower return wide open; my returns are vertical, with the top one just below the level of the skimmer, and the lower return about 1.5 feet off the floor of the pool. The lower return is always under water, so I'm concerned that if I did put a ball valve on it, the valve would crack during a freeze. Oh well..guess i can always just plug the return with a rubber pipe plug as we've done in the past.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.