running low speed - air in pump basket

drband

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2007
Hi: Converted my Superpump 1hp to a 1hp 2 speed this spring... works great! My question is... why am I getting a bit of an air bubble in my pump basket when I run it on low speed? The air bubble seems to grow a little bit if I run it continuously for a day or so. Water seems to be moving fine, no air coming out of returns, and there is never any air in the pump basket when I run it on full speed. Just trying to figure out if there is some kind of problem here or not. Thanks.

It could be that you have a small air leak (lube the pump basket o-ring) and on low it doesn't expell the air but on high it does. Also on low you won't have as much negative head so it could possibly leak more on low than on high.

Having a relatively small air bubble, compared the the size of the entire strainer basket, isn't a problem as long as the pump doesn't lose prime because of it. It might be normal, or it might be a sign that there is an air leak that might get worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.