Hard Plumb Intex Easy Set?

Siamese

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Chicago, IL
Hi All,

I purchased a set of solar heating panels on Ebay last week and expect them to be delivered in a day or so. As I work out the plumbing for these I wonder if it would make sense to hard plumb everything and get rid of the cheap intex hoses and less than 1" intake fittings currently used. I think opening everything up to 1 1/2" will improve my water flow, especially as I'm considering putting the solar panels on my sunroom roof about 20' from the pool. (You can see from my signature that I already upgraded from the cheap intex pump to a 1 HP one.)

Is doing this as simple as cutting two holes in the liner and installing two pool wall fittings? Obviously I could end up in big trouble if I make a hole in the liner and then be unable to get the fittings to work right. I'd like to hear that someone's successfully done this before I start hacking away. Please let me know if this is a crazy idea, or if it's doable.

Thanks.

Yes, that is completely possible. If you get all the right fittings it isn't even all that difficult. Sometimes half the trouble with plumbing is running back to the store to get the one fitting you forgot to get only to discover that they are out of that one.

Why not just put adapters on to fit onto the bigger plumbing rather than cutting into the liner? Right from the first fitting at the pool, which is threaded, just adapt to go to what you need instead of the plunger valves they have on there to pvc pipe....

Thanks for the advice ... I actually got the solar panels Tuesday and installed them using regular flexible pool hoses. I just didn't have the time to redo it with PVC -- maybe next year.

So far so good with the panels. They rose the pool temp about 5 degrees on two mostly cloudy days. The forecast is for a clear, sunny day tomorrow -- I can't wait to see how warm I can it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.