Total Alkalinity

May 15, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
The pool is up and running as of yesterday. Started my 4 day shock process last night.

Tested this am and
Cl 2
pH 7.4
TA 300

Added liquid chlorine per the pool calculator. Pointed my return up to help aerate. I have read so much that my eyeballs are spinning in my head! Can someone just tell me what I should be doing at this point for the TA?

Before doing anything else, retest your TA, wiping the tip of the dropper bottle about every 3rd drop with a damp cloth. Some people experience static build-up issues with the test which can lead to excessively high results.

If your TA is really that high, you want to do the aeration while the pH is low. Read the Lowering Total Alkalinity
article for details.

When I did mine it was around 180 and took about a month to get around 100. I was only able to lower every few days as I did not have strong aeration. If you can make the pH rise faster, then you can lower it back down which will drop the TA.

mynewpool said:
When I did mine it was around 180 and took about a month to get around 100. I was only able to lower every few days as I did not have strong aeration. If you can make the pH rise faster, then you can lower it back down which will drop the TA.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The more aeration you can get, the faster you can get that TA down.

This am my chlorine was a solid 5 (maybe more it only goes up that far) My pH was still 7.4 and TA is down to 280/290 (after having adding muriatic acid last night and aerated with my return jet pointed all the way up). I guess this is going to take a while. I have tonight and tomorrow to finish with the dichlor. Is it ok that I am trying to get the TA down in the middle of doing this?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.