Acid Magic

None known. It costs more but if the MA's fumes bother you, may be worth the difference.

Acid Magic uses unkown buffers to reduce the fumes. We don't normally like unknowns added since BBB is all about controlling and knowing what is in our pool.

Scott

As PoolGuyNJ mentioned, Acid Magic doesn't fume to the degree that plain ol' muriatic acid does and this may be an attractive thing for you. The problem with Acid Magic is that we don't really know what else is in there. According to the MSDS, it is mostly hydrochloric acid. We just don't know what else has been added to it and despite our asking, Certrol will not divulge the complete formulation to us citing "trade secret". Because of this, we really cannot endorse Acid Magic as being a suitable alternative to regular MA. If we knew what was in there, completely and totally, that might be different. But as it stands now, we just don't.

I think the availability of MA will be a problem for me.

Last year I looked in Home Depot and Lowes and they only had alternatives. I finally found MA at my local Ace Hardware store.

But when I went there this year, they had this Acid Magic.

I think retailers are moving to these alternatives because of safety and liability issues.

:(

dmanb2b said:
True Value has MA on sale week for $5.99 in their paint section. Just happen to be looking at the weekly flyer

dmanb2b brings up a good point in that you may have to look elsewhere for it. It goes without saying though that some of the harsher chemicals are getting harder to find and this is often the result of the ebb and flow of the political tide in your particular locale. If it hasn't been banned outright for some reason, the painting section may have some and it can also be found in places that sell masonry supplies since it is frequently used to remove mineral and hard water staining from brick surfaces. You may also find some only to discover that it is in reduced strength. That means that you will need to adjust your dosage volume accordingly. Be sure to note the concentration on the container.

According to this fact sheet they have buffered the acid in such a way that it can increase inorganic phosphates (aka orthophosphates). So be careful when using this acid in the pool. Though phosphates should not matter, the amount could accumulate enough to cause calcium phosphate scaling especially in high CH environments. Also, if your pool was low in phosphates before, then the increased phosphates will make the pool grow algae faster if you let the FC/CYA ratio get too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.