Vinyl Pool Wall Very Rough

MikeC

May 31, 2010
Used our above ground pool for 1st time today. The vinyl pool liner wall feels like sandpaper. I used a brush but it did not have any results..still very rough. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? Is there a fix? The liner is about 3 years old. Pool is 52 inch deep and 28 foot round.

Hi, Mike,

Welcome to the forum. It's a guess but the most likely cause is calcium scaling....the result of very high pH over a long period of time.

Posting current test results may give us an indicator but the water may have been balanced by now.

A possible cure may be to CAREFULLY lower pH to 7.0 or so and see if the deposits eventually dissolve.

Appreciate your welcome to forum....and thanks for you thoughts on this. I will give it a try. The pool is balanced. I've been running filter for 3 weeks...had quite a bit of green algae..I did not cover pool for winter. I will take my water in for testing and post back results. I did add quite a bit of chemicals after the first few testings...to get lined out. The water has been milky for 3 weeks now...pool shop said would clear up when we got in pool. We had quite a bit of use over weekend that is how I found rough walls..still cloudy. Thanks again!

Tested pool this afternoon here are my results:
Temp: 75
Sat Index: -0.5
TDS: 100
CYA: Not tested
Tot.Chlorine: 1.3
Free Chlorine: 1.3
pH: 6.8
Tot.Alkalinity: 156
Adj. Tot. Alk: 156
Tot. Hardness:241

Pool water is clear about 1 foot down, and then is still very cloudy..cannot see bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.