OK to put liquid chlorine into the skimmer?

Sep 23, 2009
I've read many back-and-fourths on this topic, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not hurting anything with the method that I use. I pour the chlorine directly into the skimmer while the pump's running. That way, I figure the returns will disperse it nicely. I also pour it into the skimmer pretty slowly, so it dilutes a bit before reaching my pipes, filter, pump, etc. Am I causing undue harm or wear-and-tear to any components by doing this, or am I safe to continue on this way?

Well if your doing damage so am I, I have ask the same question and they say its ok to put bleach or chlorine in the skimmer...
BUT Do NOt put Muriatic Acid in there...
I have been using bleach in the skimmer for 2 1/2 years and no problems so far,
For me its easier to put it in the skimmer then it is to hold back the solar cover and pour it in front of the return...

I've been pouring it into the skimmer for a couple of years too. I dilute it with pool water in my 2-quart pitcher first by filling to one quart chlorine, one quart pool water. The only downside I've noticed so far is that the pool doesn't get swept nearly often enough now.

Well it really isn't recommended, you should float it in front of the return jets and let it pour slowly so you do not have splash back. Of course you can still play russian roulette and put it in your skimmer, I have heard of major pump malfunctions in the past but many have done it without problems, so I would say go for it if you don't mind replacing your pump one day if it malfunctions. I myself would rather not chance it.

In the skimmer for me. In my case, I figured the dilution by the time it gets to the pump is about 50:1 and the length of time it is actually in the pump is very, very small.

All additives go in my skimmer except MA.

Please don't do this, especially if you have a heater. Liquid chlorine, pH increasers, calcium increasers, cal-hypo, etc.... should go straight into the pool after being mixed with water, distributed around returns and the deep end. This ensures no damage to plumbing, heat exchangers, gaskets, plumbing, etc...

Scott

I've been curious about this same thing but figure it can only do more harm than good - not that it WILL do any harm for sure, but why chance it. That being said, I pour the chlorine into the pool near the skimmer and not far from a point on the surace above the main drain.

Sometimes I'll pour bleach into the skimmer. What I have found necessary to do prior to pouring though is removing the skimmer baskets. Not because the baskets themselves pose a problem, but the skimmer socks that I use will disintegrate with the bleach like that. Usually though, I'll just pour in front of a return jet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.