Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK to put liquid chlorine into the skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

OK to put liquid chlorine into the skimmer?

I've read many back-and-fourths on this topic, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not hurting anything with the method that I use. I pour the chlorine directly into the skimmer while the pump's running. That way, I figure the returns will disperse it nicely. I also pour it into the skimmer pretty slowly, so it dilutes a bit before reaching my pipes, filter, pump, etc. Am I causing undue harm or wear-and-tear to any components by doing this, or am I safe to continue on this way?
    Wes
    1) In-Ground pool with vinyl liner
    - ~25,000 gallons
    - Sand Filter
    - 1 HP pump
    - BBB method working perfectly since 2010
    2) Four Winds Honolulu Spa
    - ~450 gallons
    - 3 step bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OK to put liquid chlorine into the skimmer?

Well if your doing damage so am I, I have ask the same question and they say its ok to put bleach or chlorine in the skimmer...
    BUT Do NOt put Muriatic Acid in there...
    I have been using bleach in the skimmer for 2 1/2 years and no problems so far,
    For me its easier to put it in the skimmer then it is to hold back the solar cover and pour it in front of the return...
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been pouring it into the skimmer for a couple of years too. I dilute it with pool water in my 2-quart pitcher first by filling to one quart chlorine, one quart pool water. The only downside I've noticed so far is that the pool doesn't get swept nearly often enough now.
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

4. Back To Top    #4

Well it really isn't recommended, you should float it in front of the return jets and let it pour slowly so you do not have splash back. Of course you can still play russian roulette and put it in your skimmer, I have heard of major pump malfunctions in the past but many have done it without problems, so I would say go for it if you don't mind replacing your pump one day if it malfunctions. I myself would rather not chance it.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess time will tell. I pour mine very slowly, like the stream of a pencil.
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

In the skimmer for me. In my case, I figured the dilution by the time it gets to the pump is about 50:1 and the length of time it is actually in the pump is very, very small.

All additives go in my skimmer except MA.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Please don't do this, especially if you have a heater. Liquid chlorine, pH increasers, calcium increasers, cal-hypo, etc.... should go straight into the pool after being mixed with water, distributed around returns and the deep end. This ensures no damage to plumbing, heat exchangers, gaskets, plumbing, etc...

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've been curious about this same thing but figure it can only do more harm than good - not that it WILL do any harm for sure, but why chance it. That being said, I pour the chlorine into the pool near the skimmer and not far from a point on the surace above the main drain.
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sometimes I'll pour bleach into the skimmer. What I have found necessary to do prior to pouring though is removing the skimmer baskets. Not because the baskets themselves pose a problem, but the skimmer socks that I use will disintegrate with the bleach like that. Usually though, I'll just pour in front of a return jet.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT