I have my own pool opened up, balanced, and in use; but I volunteered to take care of my Mom and Step-Dad's pool while they're away for 3 weeks. They use a "kit" with tri-chlor pucks and weekly packets of shock (labels don't state what exactly the stuff is - just says "S.W.A.T. clarifyer and oxidizer"), the same one I USED to use before finding the BBB method here. I basically need to get everything in check so I don't have to be over there multiple times a day for the next 3 weeks.
Here's a quick background. Step-Dad's been fighting phosphate "problems" (against my recommendations) since he opened the pool 2 weeks ago. He just finished his 3rd phosphate "treatment", vacuumed out all the ****, and left me with pretty clear looking water. Last night, after hearing him talk about the phosphate problem, I told him to add 10 litres of chlorine (12.5%). This afternoon I went over and added another 10 litres. Then I brought my TF-100 over there tonight and discovered the following:
FC - 1
CC - 9.5
pH - 7.2
TA - 80
CYA - ~10
CH - un-tested
Other info on his pool: ~23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter
So, from the CC reading, I'm inclined to think he's got an algae problem happening and that I've got to shock, shock, shock ... right? With CYA so low, is a 10ppm shocking level ok? Or would it be advisable to go higher? Also, how often do you think I'll have to be over there adding chlorine to take care of the 9.5 CC? And how long would you estimate I'll have to hold shock level?
Any other tips/advice would be welcomed as well!! Thankfully I've not had to tackle an algae problem with my pool, but I'm obviously going to have to learn how to with the parent's pool. Once that's taken care of, hopefully I can pretty much leave theirs to the "kit" they use and be able to enjoy more of my algae-free BBB pool