Should I install SWG this year, or wait till spring?

Jul 10, 2007
Ohio
My pool contruction has yet to begin, but will so near the end of August in Ohio. I don't think I will have much if any swimming season this year, so my question is: I am buying either a Autopilot 48 or 60 (about 25K gallon pool). Should I salt and install the system, if I am going to winterize it right away? I will take any opinions on installing the electric Heat pump as well... Now or wait till early spring. My thought on waiting on both is just the wear and tear of the winter on them.

Thanks, Chuck

Hi Chuck
I also live in Ohio Bellville area about 70 miles straight south of Cleavland. I cant say about the swg because I dont have one. I use a heat pump and I oppened in April this year I cant say exactly what the elc bill is but it hasnt hurt me a bit and is much lower then i thought. I will probably close in Oct this year. This forum sells a great test kit and is a great value you will need one the first day your pool opens. What kind of pool did you get and ware are you located. I hope your new pool brings you and your family all the joy mine has :p
Good Luck
Ric W

sorry Chuck I didnt respond to your quest right. I think I would decide on which heat pump you want and get the electric run at the pool build. Some heat pumps are wired with different size wire and different breakers so start choosing the heat pump you like. the wiring takes the most time. Then wait till spring to install this will only take a day and your warranty will go farther. Millers is a good sight for research on heat pumps and they give a discount to tfp members. They are very helpfull. there link is on this forum.
Ric W

Thanks for the comments guys. I am located in Powell, just north of Columbus. I am putting in a Vinyl Grecian L, 16X24X40. I am either going with the Heat Siphon or a Jandy. I have already had email communications with Miller, and I will be getting my heater from him. I am glad to hear that the heater is working so well for you. It seemed like a no-brainer to me over gas. I will for sure be getting the electric ready now with the pool builder, but their install for the SWG and heat pump were crazy. My father-in-law had a pool and is a heating and cooling guy, so I think I can get the help I need and save about 1K in install costs!

Ric, which test kit are you referring to? I have spent weeks researching everything, but that is one thing I have not gotten to and won't have a ton of time to do.

hi chuck
I have a taylor k2006 and it is a great test kit. Also if you go to the home page of this forum under links you will see Trouble free test kits click on that link. These are also fas-dpd kits at a greater value with replacement regents available. I personally wouldnt go with anything that isnt a fas-dpd test kit
I am about 45 minutes from Powell and I have a nephew that is a Powell policeman. Powell is a nice place to raise a family.
good luck with the pool build and keep reading the forum we will help if you ask. Let us know how your pool build is coming.
Ric W

Hi Chuck:

I live in Eastern Canada, above Maine, and I would question you spending all that hard earned money on a Heat Pump. I put in two solar panels and am getting my pool easily over 88 every day there is sun. Think about it, when there is no sun, exactly how much swimming will you be doing?

You could spend 2K on 3 solar panels and a controller and never have any additional costs. Not to mention, I did some research and found out Heat Pumps will be hard pressed to last 10 years.

Just my two cents worth.

Rik

Rik, I have been fighting that decision myself. My house faces south, I have a LARGE soft pitched roof that gets "BEAT" with sun all the time. I have no trees that will be shading it, probably forever. I have just a few doubts. This summer in Ohio was probably the sunniest ever. Right from early spring when it is the most important. But, I think that is pretty abnormal. What I don't want to have happen is that I spend 40-50k on pool, fence, etc. and not be able to use but June-August. I need to be sure I get all of May and September. I also need to see if my Home Ownwers Association has issues with Solar panels. I will send that email now... Just so I know.

Do you then believe that the life expectancy of the Solar Panels will be greater than the heater? The fact that a $3000 heater running for several months a year only lasting 10 years does not seem to make sense, but that IS the number that I see most frequently in my research. You have made me think about it again. I might PM you for some more specifics on your setup, if you don't mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.