Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A couple random questions

1. Back To Top    #1

A couple random questions

This is the first year I am using the BBB method, and I noticed in "the pool school" recommended levels article that it says to keep TA at 70-90 unless you use Tri-Chlor tablets. In that case it should be around 100-120 and not to let it fall below 100. What's the reason for this? I use a combination of bleach and tablets mainly because I have a 50lb bucket of tri-chlor tablets left over from last year, and an automatic in-line chlorinator. I keep the chlorinator set at half, and usually add a half gallon of bleach a week depending on how sunny it was and how often the pool was used. I guess I'm trying to figure out if TA should be in the 70-90 range, or the 100-120 range.

Also, as a matter of convenience I was wondering if I could add borax and/or soda ash to my skimmer basket instead of pre-dissolving in a bucket of water before dumping it in. I have a cartridge filter if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
    Mike
    30 foot round AGP (25k gal), 2.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Diver Dan pool vac, TF-100 Test kit
    -It takes less time to do things right then it does to do it again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A couple random questions

Trichlor is acidic, so the higher recommended TA is to help the pH not drop so much.

I don't like putting chems that mess with the pH into the skimmer basket.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Double post.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

So in my situation would 90-100 TA be good since I don't use a whole lot of Tri-chlor? Also, I'm curious why you don't like to put stuff that messes with your pH in your skimmer basket. Does it mix it up better in a bucket or is there another reason?
    30 foot round AGP (25k gal), 2.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Diver Dan pool vac, TF-100 Test kit
    -It takes less time to do things right then it does to do it again.