Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm heaters

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm heaters

My Hayward H350 Natural Gas Heater is shot. I am looking at a Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 333K BTU as a replacement. I've done quite a bit of searching online and I can't find much on heater reviews or comparisons. Has anybody had any issues with this heater or have any good feedback on it? Does anybody know of a good online resource that provides pool heater comparisons on things like energy efficiency, reliability, etc.?

Thanks!
    25K Gal, IG gunite, Hayward 1HP pump, Hayward DE filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm heaters

The Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm and the Pentair MasterTemp are the same heater with different skins. They are on a par with Ray-Pak/Rheem (different name badge and same heater). They are usually the only ones I recommend.

Both are less trouble prone than past Jandy or Hayward offerings though the newer models from these two vendors seem to be improvements but not in the field long enough to declare them as bulletproof as the Ray-Pak or Pentair units.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Watch out for mice making it their condo!!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know a heater model that doesn't have that happen.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!! After a discussion with the pool store we are sizing down to the Pentair MasterTemp 300K btu. It sounds though that this is a recommended unit as well so that is good. As for mice, my old heater didn't have that problem but is there anything I can do to prevent the issue with the new heater, just in case?
    25K Gal, IG gunite, Hayward 1HP pump, Hayward DE filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250, TF100 test kit