Drain & refill dangers?

coreyoreo

LifeTime Supporter
Ok, so I've been in my home for a year. Now that summer is approaching, I did a CYA test & it was through the roof, (over 100) & my chlorine is getting eaten away with the bright sun.

So instead of countering every bad chemical reading by adding more chemicals, and since I have no idea how old the water is, or how/if it was kept up, I figure a complete drain & refill would give me a fresh re-start for the summer and I'll know exactly what's in my pool water.

Here's my problem: I heard that, as the pool is draining, there's a danger of the pool plaster actually lifting off the ground underneath & creating a gap, so that when I refill, the weight of the water will crack the plaster.

Anyone heard of this happening? How often should an IG pool be drained & refilled?

You are probably alright then. There is only a risk of the pool lifting up if the ground water table is higher than the bottom of the pool. At the same time, you probably don't really need to replace 100% of your pool water, so you could hedge your bets and leave perhaps 1/4 of the water in the pool as insurance.

Yup.. I'l be checking on that too. I already figured I'd be paying quite a bit for the refill. As of recent, L.A. is under pretty strict usage rules. But as far as I know, in my city, about 90 miles NE of L.A., there's water-saving incentives, but no water restrictions--yet. That may change in the summer months though.

I'm surprised that Bruce (Simicrintz) hasn't jumped in here yet, so I'll give him a plug.

You might want to look into Reverse Osmosis treatment for your water. It might work out to be comparable with draining and refilling and none of the worries associated with draining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.