Anyone using a Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter?

May 8, 2010
We bought a foreclosure house which came with the above filter and a 16 x 32 in ground vinly pool. I always had a 24' above ground pool with a DE filter. Had many issues with muck in the pool when ucovered a month ago. Finally had shock levels and chemistry under control but water did not seem to be getting any clearer. Bought new cartridges and within 2 days we saw a difference in clarity.

Let chlorine level drop and got slime in the filter and pressure climbed from 10PSI when clean to 20 to 30 psi. Got shock level back up but very difficult to clean between all the pleats. Taking the filter apart 3 times a day for cleaning with power washer or hose. Most of the slime is out but pressure starts at 10 to 12 psi after cleaning and within an hour is up around 20. When I take apart to clean around 28psi there is hardly any dirt coming out like when it was new last week.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to clean and maintain a cartridge filter?

Thanks, Muckraker.

Sure, I own a Sta-Rite filter, but I've never had to clean it more than once a season. Please check out the link above to Pool School. Look under the subheading of Pool Equipment and you will find the information on cleaning your filter. You will need to buy Cascade and a large container for soaking that big cartridge. Not sure if you will need to do the muriatic acid soak.

You may be able to place a skimmer sock over your skimmer and catch all that dead algae before it gets in the filter. Also, other cartridge users may have an easy fix. Perhaps you could re-title your question to "Getting algae out of a cartridge filter" and get a few more hits. By the way, you may want to buy one of the little brass nozzles and a shutoff fitting for cleaning the filter that this site recommends. It does a better job at cleaning the pleats and you use a lot less water. You will get wet, though.

Spray off the filters normally, and then soak them overnight in a mixture of one cup of automatic dishwasher detergent for every five gallons of water, then rinse them off again and reinstall. That should get them back to normal (assuming there isn't any damage from the pressure washing).

Thank's for help cleaning the cartridges. I use the lowest pressure nozzle on the washer and try not to get too close, but I will stop using it. Two questions - Flintstone mentioned " By the way, you may want to buy one of the little brass nozzles and a shutoff fitting for cleaning the filter that this site recommends. It does a better job at cleaning the pleats and you use a lot less water. You will get wet, though." Where can I find info on the nozzles the site recommends, I checked Pool School filter maintence and did not see.

I'll try the dishwashing detergent tonight. Is the slime algae or is that just a normal coating on the pleats?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.