Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: anybody get these horrible muscle spasms while swimming?

1. Back To Top    #1

anybody get these horrible muscle spasms while swimming?

I have for years been getting a cramp or muscle spasm in my feet which I have to bend them backwards and hope it goes away. I have no reason why it only happens when I swim but it is very painful and aggrevating.
    This weekend I went to a buddies after golf and went in his pool and I got a muscle spasm in my left thigh. OMG this was very painful and I had no way of knowing how to relieve the pain.

anyone know just what is happening and how can you fight it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: anybody get these horrible muscle spasms while swimming?

Talk to your doctor. It could be a circulatory issue, or a mineral deficiency. I have to take magnesium & zinc supplements because of muscle cramps.
    8200 gallons of water
    Cartridge Filter
    AG
    Sta-Rite Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

anybody get these horrible muscle spasms while swimming?

Cramps can be due to lack of magnesium and calcium. I take supplements of both.

I cannot offer any more specific advice here but I suppose you could contact me for more info.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

A very common cause of muscle cramps is dehydration. The fact that you just played golf before swimming this weekend brings that to my mind.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I get them in my toes and feet from time to time and they certainly do hurt. Check with your doctor before adding any specific vitamin or mineral regimen suggested on an internet forum.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

Sometimes if I go running then hop in the pool, I'll get cramps because of the temp difference between the warm muscle and the cool pool so I just wait and do a proper 'cool down' first.

However, the cramps in my arms from the 12 oz curls seem to go away with a few more curls....
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit