Hayward H250 gas heater - pilot question

May 25, 2010
Ok, this is going to be a stupid question, but where is the pilot? We're trying to start it for the first time (new house so never used the heater before). Following instructions but not seeing a pilot light anywhere. I assume I would notice it once it was lit, but I can't even find it.

Hmmmm ... I looked at the manual (thank you for the link!) and my pilot is not there. If I follow the metal tube from the control, it goes behind the panel with the round holes on it. (sorry for the terrible description) There is no way for me to see the pilot without taking the heater apart.

There should be a side panel that is designed to be removed easily that covers the pilot light and the associated gas valve. From there, there will be a pipe that continues into the middle of the heater where the main burner is, but the pilot is almost always near the main gas control valve.

If you should us a picture of your heater near where the manual indicates the pilot should be, we can probably help you figure it out.

on the H250 there is no side panel to give you access to the pilot..the pilot and burners come out from the front of the unit as one complete assembly. follow the silver colored pilot tube from the gas valve stright back and to the left of the burners...you may need a little mirror to stick in there to see up under there, as there isn't much space. but a mirror and flashlight will help you located it....the pilot should be back about 8 inches or so from the front opening of your burners and sitting just to the left.

doesn't your heater have a little red "click" type ignitor installed on the left hand side? If not you'll need a LONG reach lighter to reach the pilot orifice.

HTH

Dan

Are you sure your H250 has a pilot? I have an H250 with an Electronic Ignition. I bought mine in 2007. There are two different types to the H250. One is the "MilliVolt", and the other (which I have) is the "Electronic Ignition".

What is happening with the heater? When you turn it on and increase the temp on the thermostat, do you hear the fan kick on (its exhausting any gases in the chamber)? Do you hear it attempt to fire? Do you see any fault codes on the LCD display?

I have a question regarding my pilot light.

I wanted to use the heater this past weekend and noticed the pilot light was not lit. I lit it several times but it will not stay lit? A friend it may be the thermal coupler? Does this sound right? If so, is it easy for a novice to fix?

My heater is a H250.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The manual for the H250 millivolt version is http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual285.pdf. Page 28 has pilot removal instructions, page 36 has a troubleshooting flow chart. Please be sure to read all the warnings carefully, as it is recommended to have a qualified professional make repairs on the heater. If you have prior experience with a hot water heater, gas furnace, or other gas appliance repair, you can likely handle the job, but please be aware of the very real potential for danger. My intent is not to scare you, but to keep you and your family safe.

It could be a failed thermocouple/thermopile, failed gas valve, corrosion or insects in the pilot orifice, or a short in wiring somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.