Give me some ideas please

Jun 21, 2008
Central MD
This is my 15 year old Doughboy Timberline. Time for a new liner, and probably new filter hardware too.

[attachment=1:104cvec9]Pool1.jpg[/attachment:104cvec9]

I am thinking of setting it into the hillside where the ground drops off behind it. It wouldn't be "buried" per se, but would be about 3 feet lower with a deck around it.

I am also thinking of putting an inground in. I think rehabbing the current pool and adding a nice deck / cabana combo makes more sense and should cost A LOT less.

I built the patio last year and would like to tie in whatever I do.

[attachment=0:104cvec9]Pool2.jpg[/attachment:104cvec9]

So- give me your thoughts, ideas, and comments!

Attachments

• Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 923
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 923
If you plan on reusing your older pool, you will know if its feasible when you go to take it down. Rusted bottom rails or other things you can't see until you take it down. My pool is in a slight hill because of the slope of our flat looking yard. And I think its a pain in the butt. I still haven't figured how to get the maximum use,and longevity from my pool and still have it look nice and be safe. But $$ is an issue for us. We want maximum look for the least $$ we have to put into it.The BBB has been the biggest reason we can afford to have the 28' pool in the first place. Kids are gone and only DH and I home now. Kimrst

There are many people who have installed their AG pools into the hillside and put the decks up to them. It sounds like it would be very nice - do you plan to have the entire area from patio to pool with the deck or build some sort of walkway or ??? it looks like it may be some distance between the area you want to move the pool back to and where the patio sits. The entire area covered by deck may be more spendy than you think unless you go with some sort of connecting walkway or boardwalk or ??? More pix of the back yard might help - like from the other direction and having it marked up where the pool would be moved to??

you have such a great start with a nice patio/pavers/scenery/ i bet you would appreciate the asthetics & convenience of putting the abg a little inground..we put concrete around the upper part of our deck thats close to the house & slowly leveled it off with wood decking with the slope, worked nicely!

A couple of things-

I am a little worried about what I might find- bottom plates, bottom rail, etc. But I have talked to the local DB dealer and they assure me parts are still available. Trouble is, I won't REALLY know what I need till I tear into it.

The pool would be sunk into the hillside right where it sits currently. The picture is a little deceiving. It is already down about 8" which is hard to see, but there is enough slope there to cut into the hillside a little and put a nice deck around to tie directly into the patio.

My original deck idea is HUGE and cost prohibitive. But I am thinking a slight above ground deck (maybe a step or two higher than the patio). Definitely a covered area such as a small pavilion, cabana, etc to get out of the sun since pool is South side of house.

I will try to get more pics.

Colormesummer- do you have pictures of your layout?

wmshay6, there's one on the slideshow somewhere plus i posted the same pic to someone asking about deck ideas, but hope to take more pics this summer from a different angle showing the lower decking as well, its been too cold here to even open up yet, very unusual

Colormesummer- I anxiously await your posting of more pics :p I checked out some of your pics from last year and it looks like you did something very similar to what I am thinking of. Some pics from a wider angle would really help me visualize - if you're taking requests. :goodjob:

Just so people can see, here is a shot of the downhill side giving (I think) a better idea of how the pool would be set into the side of the slope. Picture it dropped straight down 3+ feet where it currently sits.

[attachment=0:s5c6e01c]Pool downhill.jpg[/attachment:s5c6e01c]

Attachments

• Pool downhill.jpg
    Pool downhill.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 769
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.