There's a New Test Kit in Town!

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
I'll let Dave (duraleigh) go into more detail about the kit description and why he chose to go into this business, but I wanted to give some brief background information as to why the kit is featured prominently on this site.

Shortly after I created this site, I noticed that a lot of members were asking others where they could buy a good test kit. While there are a lot of types of kits on the market, the Taylor FAS-DPD kits have been the most recommended for comprehensive home use. The current Taylor kits, however, don't have a good balance of reagents. That is, some come in quantities that last for a long time while others have only enough for a few tests.

I had begun the process of contacting online retailers about putting together custom kits for users of this forum and of course, anyone else who wanted a better product than what was currently available. Apparently, none of them saw this as enough of a potential market to make the effort.

Fortunately, just as I was beginning to get frustrated, I received an e-mail from Dave Smith. Dave had also seen the need for such a kit and was interested in a partnership of sorts. After a few phone conversations with Dave I learned a few things about him. First, he has a long history as a business owner and understands what it takes to run a successful business. Secondly, he knows that customer service has to be a top priority for such a specialized niche product. And finally, he has a lot of integrity and simply will not put an inferior or unready product on the market. This was a major concern of mine. I only wanted to associate with someone who was going to deliver a high quality product and be around for the long haul. I believe Dave to be exactly that type of person.

We did discuss the possibility of a true partnership with a portion of the proceeds going to TFP, but based on experience at other sites where this had been done, eventually decided that it would be best to have a separation between the kit and the forum. That way each is beneficial to the other, but neither is dependant on the other for success.

So, this kit is NOT featured here because of some financial arrangement, but because there is no other product like it on the market and I think it is the best solution for forum members. It is here because Dave wants to make sure that people who purchase his kits have a 24/7 resource to go with questions and comments about the kits.

Questions about specific orders/ pricing/ or shipping should be sent directly to [email protected], but all other questions about kit use and testing, can be posted here. Dave will post and answer questions regularly as will forum members who have used this kit.

I am also happy to say that Dave has generously offered to give site supporters (both annual and lifetime) a discount on kit purchases. Please see the Forum Supporter area or http://WWW.TFTESTKITS.COM for more information on the discounts.

I think this cooperative effort is going to be a great benefit to the end user and look forward to what I believe will be a bright future for everyone involved. I'll let Dave say a little more about why he decided to start this venture.

Thanks,

SeanB

First, let me assure you I have not entered into this on a whim. I have been fortunate to have owned a solid, successful business for 27 years. During that period, the value of excellent Customer Service has been demonstrated to me over and over. Prompt shipping and ongoing support are my top priorities. To that end, I will ship your kit, by FedEx ground only, within 24-48 hours of payment receipt.

To the best of my ability, I will promptly return any email questions about the kit. The greatest resource for info on the kit is here at troublefreepool.com. I will post here regularly and will be available to answer all your kit questions. There are also many knowledgeable members of TFP, experienced with use of this kit, who are eager to help.

Why should you buy this kit?
If you shop around at local pool stores and online retailers, you’ll find many variations of pool test kits. They range from tests that check only one or two parameters to professional kits designed for pool service companies. Few of them are designed for comprehensive residential testing. This kit fills that need and will allow you to perform all your own testing without having to rely on the frequently questionable advice of the pool store. You will have accurate results that you can trust!

The kit contains seven tests.

The first two are normally done daily (or thereabouts) and consists of a test for pH and Total Chlorine up to 5ppm.

The more comprehensive and accurate tests are typically done once each month or anytime you feel there is a need. They are:

FAS/DPD Chlorine Drop Test
FAS/DPD Combined Chloramines Test (done in conjunction with above)
Total Alkalinity Test
Calcium Hardness Test
CYA Test

This test kit has the highest quality reagents packaged in quantities that should last the average user for about two seasons.

64.jpg

The tests will give you a complete picture of your pool water chemistry and alert you to anything abnormal that may require attention. In addition to the chemistry, there are two clear graduated mixing cylinders, a CYA mixing dispenser, CYA view tube and a small scoop for the FAS/DPD test. It's complete.......nothing else you need to buy

Thank you for your confidence if you decide to order.

Dave Smith
www.TFTestKits.com

Ok, I have been meaning to get this up here sooner, but the new baby has slowed me down somewhat. What I wanted to do with this is write a review of my experiences with this product, mainly its shipment and delivery method, timeliness, and it's success.

This is what I got in the mail, nicely packaged, no damage.
picture001yy0.jpg

I especially like the USPS packaging under it. :)
picture002vi9.jpg

Then there were even styrofoam peanuts!!!
picture003oe7.jpg

Exterior
picture004ny2.jpg

Lid
picture005rv5.jpg

Inside Lid
picture006xi9.jpg

Pretty impressive kit
picture007yd3.jpg

Glamour Shot
picture008ki7.jpg

Close Up main kit
picture009xf5.jpg

Close up daily kit
picture010be2.jpg

There is an available Salt Test kit that I wanted, and I am getting it shipped to me. This is a great kit, not really much more you could want. There are separate vials for each test, a measuring spoon, and this kit should last two years. I personally think that this is really a good investment. Knowing what your sanitation needs are is key to keeping a pool crystal clear all year long.

pooladdict said:
Do you know if you can send these to Canada?

Rik

I'd like to know this too, and payment methods other than PayPal. I had/have issues with them. I know Ben had troubles with shipping reagents over the border though. Alternative is $170 for a Taylor test kit which is far costlier than would be worthwhile.

Kinguni,

There are methods other than paypal. You can use your credit card on the site as well. You can also send a check or money order if you like. Other than the delay in shipping, your check or money order is fine with me.

I had hoped to have an answer on Canadian shipments by now.....I have been called into work on short notice so I doubt I'll have time to pursue that subject today. It will get my full attention tomorrow and I'll post back up as soon as I have something to report

I can't compare to Ben's because there was no way to order one. As far as this kit (TF-100) is concerned I am thoroughly pleased. Plenty of reagents. Instructions are precise and easy to follow. Plus, the order shipped out the day it was promised to ship. I personally can't commend Dave enough for taking the plunge and providing this product. You will not be dissappointed. Good luck in your choice. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have one of Dave's kits and am very happy with it. I do lab testing for a living and found his kits to be very precise. I helped Dave with his store front site and found he was prompt to answer when e-mailed. I feel you would be very happy with the kit and the level of service Dave will provide. Using Dave's kit will help us to help you with any chem problems with your pool. It gives us here a standard to work with when answering your questions.
Steve

I have Ben's kit and I have Dave's kit (among other kits). Dave's kit is funtionally identical to Ben's and since Ben's kit is not available now the question as to which is better is really moot! Both include exactly the same tests and both are based on Taylor reagents. The Salt option in Dave's kit is much easier to use and less error prone, IMHO. The strips he includes for the salt option I have checked against Taylor drop based salt tests and two different salt meters on numerous occasions and they have always been right on the money and eliminate much of the possible and probable operator error with the drop based salt test, which is tricky to do right (to say the least!)
I like the vials included in Dave's kit better than the ones in Ben's and have had less problems with uniform drop formation with the dropper vials in Dave's kit. (I had to have the dropper tips replaced in Ben's kit and I still need to wipe the tips with a wet tissue between drops to get a uniform size). The salt test in Ben's kit has been unusable because of drop size and that has never been corrected.
Just my 2 cents!

Not to be a pain, but any update on shipping to Canada?

It is actually fairly difficult to get a decent test kit up here, so it would be a big plus if you do in fact ship to Canada.

Rob,

I know Dave is working on this but I thought I would throw in my $.02 worth. As long as none of the chemicals are deemed "Hazardous" (which I am looking into now), there should be no reason why these kits could not be shipped to Canada. I do some export within my company (does not involve chemicals). However, I just got off of the phone with my UPS rep and explained to her the situation. This is the information that I received in an email from her:

Please create an original invoice with ship to and ship from name and addresses and phone contacts, sign and include 2 additional copies on the outside of the box. There are no export restrictions on the product (if deemed not hazardous).

Perhaps someone else can jump on if they know the answer to the question. Does anyone have a set of MSDS on each chemical in the kit?

Hi, all,

I'm exactly at the same point Mike is with shipping the kits to Canada. I'm struggling a little to determine if anything in there is deemed "hazardous" by International standards. I've gotten some "probably not"'s so far but would like a little clearer definition. Once I can get it clear in my mind what they're looking for I can (and want) to ship them to Canada.

I'll have to revisit Fedex shipping rates but that will be easily solved. I hope to post something here before Monday and, hopefully, ship some kits.

Forgot something....

Thanks to everyone who has posted such positive thoughts about the kit. We will continue to improve it and make it the best value we possibly can.

Secondly, I want to tell ya'll I had some behind the scenes help making this thing work.

Medvampire (Steve) has given (volunteered) me hours of his time to design and get operational the website where you can purchase the kit. He is a computer guru and a nice guy. Without him, I simply would not have been able to get this product available. Thanks, Steve! :lol:

Additionally, Waterbear (Evan) has advised me carefully on how to make this kit usable and accurate. Evans' experience with testing and his knowledge of chemistry kept me from making some pretty big goofs when I was getting this thing assembled. Thank you, Evan. :lol:

Lastly, Sean has encouraged me all along and has been generous to allow me to make the kit known thru this site. It's impossible to have any negative thoughts when you're speaking with him and I am appreciative of his positive encouragement. :lol:

Jeez,Louise. I just reread this and it sounds like an Oscar acceptance speech!

Shipping these kits to Canada could be troublesome for the buyer once it hits customs. The buyer may have to pay a fee to get the kit cleared.
Also, check with Taylor directly. They may be able to tell you exactly what restrictions they have when they ship to Canada or other countries. This is from the Taylor FAQs:

Shipping Hazardous Materials

Shipping Hazardous Materials

Q. Can I specify a carrier?

A. Yes; order by phone on our toll-free line (800-837-8548) and discuss your preference with your customer service representative. Be aware, however, that regulations governing the shipment of chemicals—which may be considered "hazardous materials" or "dangerous goods," depending on the chemical and/or quantity of chemical in question—are complex. Our shipping department is well versed in these regulations. Absent specific instructions from you, they will determine the fastest and most economical way to ship your order. Special packaging to meet transportation standards may increase your shipping charge. Certain carriers also impose additional charges for transporting "dangerous goods." Ask your customer service representative to explain the shipping charges associated with your order.

Also my $.02 worth... Hope this helps...

I just wanted to give my own endorsement of Dave. I purchased a Taylor kit online before I found this website. After waiting over a week to get the product, I quickly ran out of chlorine testing reagents. I decided to purchase these chemicals through Dave. His shipping was lightning-quick and his pricing is exceptional. Dave is incredibly professional and runs his business well.

-Jennifer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.