Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I raise CH on a new pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I raise CH on a new pool?

My pool is 2 months old and I just took over from the pool guy. I tested yesterday and again today. Here are my numbers:

FC: 4.5
    CC: 0
    TC: 4.5
    pH: 7.5
    T/A: 140
    CH: 160
    CYA: 60

Question: Should I try to raise the CH? I bought the stuff yesterday from the pool store to raise it, but I've been reading that maybe I shouldn't worry about it as my pool is so new, so I haven't dumped anything in yet.

Also, yesterday my CC was between 0.5 and 1 and today it's 0. Is that a testing error or does that make sense? I was planning on shocking to bring it down to 0. I am planning on doing an overnight chlorine test tonight.

The pool guy has been using the pucks in the auto chlorinator. I've read the concerns about CYA, but I do like the convenience of it and am hesitant to switch over completely to bleach.

Thanks for your help. This forum is great!
    Cindy
    24,000 gunite freeform w/ pebble plaster, weeping wall, spa; Pentair Cartridge Filter; 2HP Whisperflow pumps; inline chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I raise CH on a new pool?

I know at first you should not adjust CH but I'm not 100% certain on how long that rule applies...since the pool is 2 months old...

Yes, that's normal for the CC to fluctuate at times. As long as it's .5 or less you don't need to shock.

Your CYA is too high to continue using pucks. If you want to use pucks, you would need to replace some of the water to lower the CYA level.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I was worried about the CYA being that high so soon. I did buy a bunch of bleach yesterday so I'll probably start using that and see how it goes. I'm also not sure about my reading of that test. The pool store had my CYA at 40 a couple weeks ago. Guess I just need to monitor it closely.
    24,000 gunite freeform w/ pebble plaster, weeping wall, spa; Pentair Cartridge Filter; 2HP Whisperflow pumps; inline chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

The usual rule of thumb is to not adjust the CH for the first 30 days. If it has been two months, then the CH should be brought up to at least 250.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks-I appreciate it. I'll add the chemicals tonight and start working on it.

Cindy