Any suggestions now? I've got a mess and a problem

MomUv5

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2010
Memphis, TN area
The mess is the unsightly swamp in the pool.

The problem is a leak in the plumbing by the pump. It loses its prime and won't work. When it was last working it dumped out several inches of water. I've called several pool places in the area. The two that are open today can send someone out on Thursday (3 days from now) or Saturday (5 days from now). Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for a family wedding on both of those days. All of the other pool places are closed.

A. Can a regular plumber fix this if it's just a plumbing problem?
B. The leak seems to be at a connection. Can I stick some kind of substance (can't imagine what? Duct tape?) around the joint and hope it will hold until I get a real repairman out here?
C. It's mosquito season and I'm honestly worried about this monstrosity becoming a public health hazard.

Help

Even though I would be inclined to go with a pool repair service, I think that any regular plumber should be able to handle the job. Because I don't really know what the source of the leak is, it's tough to determine what would be required to fix it. A broken seal between pipe connections is a different repair than if the leak is from a cracked pump housing or something. Maybe others can tell you differently, but I can't think of any way to stop the leak aside from taking the plumbing down and replumbing the connection. I doubt that any amount of duct tape will hold things for you.

coloeb said:
Bet ya if you took a picture of the damaged area I could probably talk ya through it.

Thanks for the offer! Now that I've slept on it, I've decided that I should call the homeowner's warranty company (DUH!) and make them send someone. It will probably take a long time to get someone out here, but if I need major stuff, then THEY need to pay for it, not me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.