Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG to BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG to BBB

Has anyone gone from as swg to bbb? If so are you happier now? What are the pros and cons of doing this?
    12k Gal. Kidney IG pool (Built around 1964 screened enclosure?), Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite (Added 12/2007), 1 hp motor, Sta-Rite P2 pump, Hayward C900 paper cartridge filter, Resilience SWG PSC-3 SCC 25 Element, Dolphin Robatic Cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 11, Taylor K2006C, Lamotte Tracer PockeTester PH/TDS/SAL, purptiger

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: SWG to BBB

BBB is testing and understanding your important pool water parameters.......that's it.

SWG is a salt water chlorinator....it puts chlorine in your pool but has no bearing on whther you understand your pool water parameters or not.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So you are thinking of deactivating your SWG and going back to manually adding the chlorine? I guess if your system is defective or broken in some way there would be a plus to manually adding chlorine in that you would know how much you are puttng in? - the CONS would be that you are purchasing chlorine and manually adding chlorine vs a system that automatically generates it and you don't have to purchase anything extra ......
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4

My swg is working fine. I am just tired of the up and down amounts wiu the ph and ta. With bbb I am not sure I would have this
    12k Gal. Kidney IG pool (Built around 1964 screened enclosure?), Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite (Added 12/2007), 1 hp motor, Sta-Rite P2 pump, Hayward C900 paper cartridge filter, Resilience SWG PSC-3 SCC 25 Element, Dolphin Robatic Cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 11, Taylor K2006C, Lamotte Tracer PockeTester PH/TDS/SAL, purptiger

5. Back To Top    #5

We can help you eliminate the rapid increase in PH while using the SWG. Often, it just takes a little adjusting of your levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Post your water chemistry results. A pool can be very stable with a SWG. I add acid perhaps every two weeks.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

These are my latest as of 8:10 am:

fc 2.5
    ph 7.3
    ta 80
    ch 280
    cya 60 added 1 lb stabilizer on 5/28
    temp 84
    salt 3800
    swg at 35 %. I am running split shift on pump: 4-8 am and 4-8 pm.

Also just for reference my fill water is
    ph 7.2, ta 180, ch 180, and temp is 75.

8. Back To Top    #8

Your relatively high fill water TA does complicate things.

You want CYA around 80, it sounds like you are already headed there.

Let TA come down to 60. Once TA is down to 60, let the PH rise to around 7.7 and see if it will stabilize there. If that doesn't do it, you can try adding borates to help slow down the PH changes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I forgot to tell you that I have added borates. I have the Lamotte borate rest strips and I think they tell me I nave 50 ppm. Color seems to match but not the same intensity.

10. Back To Top    #10

I know the process of MA, to bring ta and ph down. Then one aerate the pool to bring ph back up. The problem is that if I keep aerating the pool the ph will go through the roof and then ta starts to go up. If I turn the jets down the ph still goes due to temp and swg out gasing. Ta will also go up since they seem linked. Not sure what to do.

11. Back To Top    #11

TA does not go up from aeration. It only goes up if your use a chemical to raise your PH. As the TA goes down, which it will if you continue adding acid and don't add any soda ash, borax, or baking soda, you will eventually get to a point where the PH will stabilize right around 7.7 or 7.8 with the TA around 50 or 60.

However, TA will go up if you have to add any replacement water. Hopefully, during most of the summer it will be humid enough that the rate of evaporation will be low, and you won't have to add very much replacement water.

12. Back To Top    #12

Between 5/30 and 5/31 my ph went from 7.1 to 7.3 and the ta went from 70 to 80. The only thing that I did was to aerate the pool. No chemicals wereadded or water added. So am I missing something?

13. Back To Top    #13

The TA test is +-10 in that range, so 70 and 80 are the same as each other. There is no telling if TA actually went up or not unless the change is larger than that.

14. Back To Top    #14

Even with the Taylor K2006 kit. I thought that it was for every10 drops it is plus or minus 10 ppm.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by purptiger
    Even with the Taylor K2006 kit. I thought that it was for every 10 drops it is plus or minus 10 ppm.
    Yes, but you can never do better than +- one drop, or +-10.

16. Back To Top    #16

Some SWCG pools will always have a rising pH issue. Even if you have all of the test results in line with the recommendations on this site. You may have one of those pools. I also have one of them. The only solution is to find a ways to automatically add acid. It does not have to be a closed loop system, it can be a s simple as a pump on a timer added a fixed amount of acid each day.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.