Heavy Chlorine Demand - was told to drain pool!

deepwater01 said:
drained 1/3 of the pool... been adding 12% liquid shock ....4 cases on Saturday....non chlorine shock yesterday (3 lbs)....today I added 4 lbs.
CYA - 60 ppm (the home test is very difficult to get an actual read on)...I took in a water sample to make sure the reading was correct and it correlated to 60ppm
Additionally I have a chlorinator and just refilled with 6 (3inch pucks) on Saturday - because of how much shock and combined chlorine I had in the pool I turned down my chlorinator to 4 (out of 9)....however, as of this AM - the pucks are almost completely dissolved...do I potentially have a problem with my chlorinator?
The pucks are the reason that your CYA is so high to begin with. Turn the chlorinator off and DON'T add any more pucks to it !! :(

Use the pool calculator and figure out how much BLEACH (or liquid chlorine) to add. At a CYA level of 60 your shock level is 20.

Please don't use anything but bleach right now... Your pH measurements go high when the FC level goes over 10 so start with pH of 7.2-7.4 and shock the pool until the FC holds overnight and the CC goes to 0.0 or 0.5 and the water is "sparkly"...

It will happen, but it takes time {and no pucks}! :cool:

Terry in NC

Right now your CYA level is at the upper limit of what is generally considered acceptable around here, when you add stabilizer or stabilized chlorine usually in the form of (pellets, pucks, sticks, etc.) it raises both the chlorine and the CYA level, in time as water is removed through splash out, backwashing, etc, and replaced through either rain or tap water your CYA level will fall, when it gets to the low end of the acceptable range (40 ish) you can go back to adding the pucks to slowly bring it up. In time you will find a balance of how much chlorine you need to add by liquid, and how much stabilized you can add through the pucks to maintain a constant level. You generally do not want to add both at the same time as they can cross react (ie. eventually when you need to raise your CYA use pucks on week and liquid the next, etc.). There is also another type of dry chlorine compound that raises both chlorine and your calcium hardness level, you can use it if you want to if your Calcium hardness is below about 250-300, calcium hardness is not generally needed at all in vinyl pools, only in plaster and concrete ones, as too low of calcium will cause the water to suck it out of the concrete.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.