Liquidator erratic flow

Jan 20, 2008
Northeast Florida
I have been told my flow problem is related to overefficiency. There is only 4' of pipe and one elbow between skimmer and pump, and pump is 3' lower than water level. This results in minimal suction and low flow (2 max) from the liquidator. This has been resolved somewhat by using a ball valve on the skimmer line to choke down waterflow flow. This will get flow as high as 5. I leave the liquidator valve wide open and control the Cl flow by choking the water flow. Unfortunately, a skimmer basket of leaves will give the same result. On a windy day, the little basket fills and the resulting suction side restriction maxes out the liquidator flow and quickly consumes the bleach. It is hard to maintain consistent flow with this going on. Any thoughts on how to resolve this? Anybody else have this problem?

I am in the midst of a complete replumb, but before I tore it apart I did the 3/8" conversion and got much better flow without needing to choke down the skimmer line. Will the 3/8 conversion solve the problem by allowing me to keep the LQ flow valve closed more instead of wide open? Or will it be even worse with the bigger tubing when the basket fills and the suction increases?

Any other plumbing changes I can make that might help? Right now it is torn down so I can do almost anything.

Here's what I would do. Open the LQ (liquidator) valve all the way and then close the skimmer valve back till I get a flow of 5 cc/min from the LQ then adjust the LQ valve to the desired flow from the LQ.
By leaving the LQ valve wide open and trying to use the skimmer valve to adjust flow from the LQ, any small change in the suction pressure (leaves in the skimmer basket) will change the LQ flow. By closing the skimmer valve more and using the LQ valve to adjust the flow you lesson this effect a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.