Non-Chlorine Shock and CC tests

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Maintaining an indoor pool, I generally prefer to use Non-chlorine shock as it takes an exceedingly long time for free chlorine numbers to fall when using chlorine shock. (the pool has a typical FC consumption of 2 - 2.5 ppm per week on light use weeks). I have read online that use of Non-Chlorine shock (I use either HTH or AquaEZ shock and swim, both are based on POTASSIUM MONOPERSULFATE) can cause false CC readings on some pool tests unless special precautions are taken. I have the TF-100 kit, and I am wondering is this one of the tests that can cause false CC levels, and if so what can I do to get correct CC readings?

thanks Ike

p.s. I try to do chlorine shocking 2 or 3 times per swim season when I know no one will be using the pool for several days

I hope I am not breaking a board rule here by talking about pricing, but I am wondering if I am missing something, looking at the Taylor web site it looks like the K-2042 kit contains the R-0867 reagent, an eye dropper, and a instruction sheet along with display packaging, no case or anything else and is priced at $23.85. When looking at the contents and pricing the individual parts, the 2 oz R-0867 reagent sells for $13.95 and the #4030 eyedropper is $2.25, so is it just me or does that mean the instruction sheet and plastic bag with cardboard header packaging works out to be over $7?

Ike

Yes. It comes out that way sometimes. You are paying for the labor to stuff and seal the plastic bag. If it was a high volume product the prices would be the other way around, but for low volume products this kind of thing is fairly common.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.