Re: CYA level dropped off the charts.

Sep 23, 2009
Re: CYA level dropped off the charts.

Please keep your questions/discussion on a single topic together in one of your own topics, rather than posting something off topic in someone else's topic. JasonLion

I'm going to start my own topic on this momentarily, but I'll just mention this ... some would suggest that high phosphate levels can lead to chlorine demand too. I'm inclined to say the phosphate theory is a bunch of money-grabbing BS, but that's just my fairly uninformed opinion after fighting phosphates to the tune of hundreds of dollars with a previous pool.

What's the real deal with phosphates?

Last year I lived in a different house and I fought with phosphate "problems" all summer long, at the direction of my local pool store (of course). This was before I came across this wonderful forum. This year, I'm in a different house with a different pool and I'm highly inclined to ignore the fact that my pool has "high" phosphate levels. The problem is that I'm reading a lot of articles that speak to chlorine demand and ineffectivness being related to phosphate levels. I'm going through about 5ppm of FC a day right now, with direct sunlight all day long and not a cloud in the sky for the last 4 days or so. I haven't done an overnight loss test yet, but I am waiting for the CYA that I added 3 days ago to register so I'm hoping the addition of the CYA will bring my FC consumption down a bit (since CYA isn't registering on my TF-100 test currently). Anyway...getting off track...

So, what's the real deal with having phosphates in my pool? Should I continue to ignore it and just concentrate on keeping my other stats within spec? Or do I give in and start the pain-in-the-Rear process of "removing" these phosphates?

What's the real deal with phosphates?

Phos is food for alge, so if you have alge get started it will get worse quicker. But remember that if you follow bbb you won't have alge to start with, and on the off chance something goes wrong and you do get a alge problem, then you how to fix it without getting poolstored!

Long story short. Do bbb, keep your levels in check and forget about the phosphates.

Re: What's the real deal with phosphates?

Dale.s said:
Phos is food for alge, so if you have alge get started it will get worse quicker. But remember that if you follow bbb you won't have alge to start with, and on the off chance something goes wrong and you do get a alge problem, then you how to fix it without getting poolstored!

Long story short. Do bbb, keep your levels in check and forget about the phosphates.

About the best summary I can imagine :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.