Anyone use both liquid AND tablet chlorine tablets together?

May 28, 2010
I'm curious to know if it is common practice to use BOTH liquid and tablet chlorine together. Also, I'm curious to know how much of each people use on a week to week basis. I realize that it would be different for any given pool based on a variety of things, but I'm still curious on what people are using and how much. I've been 'recommended' to use about 1 jug (2.5 gal / yellow jugs) of liquid chlorine and 2 tablets per week for my pool. I live in South Florida, my pool is about 11k gallons, and it gets a lot of shade. I realize that one cannot make an accurate recommendation without knowing the chemical readings, but since I'm waiting on my test kit to arrive, I can't provide that info right now.

The tablets are probably trichlor. If you have 8-oz tabs, in your pool every two tabs would add about 10ppm FC and 6ppm CYA.

Occasional use of trichlor, e.g. for vacations or when you want to raise CYA a bit, is fine. Habitual use will eventually lead to excessively high CYA levels, and the only practical way to reduce CYA is replacing water. This is a pain in my opinion. Although some people make it work, it's not the way this site recommends managing a pool.
--paulr

I accidentally left my fill line running and overflowed the pool, twice last month. So, not surprisingly, my CYA lowered. I got 22 on test, so I've been using pucks very slowly to try to get it up a bit, but not too much as I want to get just to 30 no more, before I go on vacation. While I am gone I will run the auto-chlorinator to add 20 pm, plus have the pool sitter add a jug or two of bleach as needed.

edit- But the point is, once I get to CYA 50 I stop adding the pucks. Unless for some reason CYA goes down a lot, like I have to drain the pool down for an expected hurricane or we get a surprise tropical storm that gives 10" of rain or more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.