I'm so confused, brown pool. Iron?

May 31, 2008
Last fall, lightning hit our pump and pool. Caused some damage to the top rail and killed the pump. We decided to wait until this spring to buy a new pump, so the pool didn't get winterized. I also stupidly left it uncovered and it got full of leaves.

Fast forward to this spring.. We replaced the pump and have gotten most of the leaves out. The water was almost black. I kept adding bleach and got it to a green color. I was adding bleach again to shock it and an hour later the water turned brown. It's been like that for a week even though I've been running the pump.

I suspected iron in the water even though we are on city water. Took the water to be tested. They tell me AFTER testing that they can't test for iron. They are the only pool store around here. Is there a way to test it at home?

I went ahead and bought Metal Out and have put 2 qts in our pool. It's been 2 days and I can almost see the bottom. Is it supposed to take that long? If the Metal Out works, when can I start adding bleach? Will it turn brown again?

We have never had this problem and it's just so frustrating! Would have been nice to swim with the kids this holiday weekend, you know?

TC: 0.6
FC: 0
pH: 7.3
Total Alkalinity: 86
Total Hardness: 79

The pool store water testing was useless. I have the TF-100 test kit here at the house. When asking them about the iron, they said for us to bring water up there and they would test it. We assumed they would be testing for iron. Nope!

If the brown is caused by iron in the water, it looks like you need to use more sequestrant. Sequestrant will clear up colored water with in 12 to 24 hours if it is going to work. But the brown could be caused by other things.

Since your water is murky/cloudy, you should continue shocking. If you water was a clear transparent brown, then you should add more sequestrant.

You can buy an iron test kit, like the Taylor K-1716, but it is mildly expensive.

Since you are on city water, you should be able to call the water company and have them tell you exactly how much iron there is in the water. Unless you have iron stains on all of your sinks, I doubt there is an iron problem.

I'd think that the brown is tannins from the leaves, though I am hesitant to disagree with Jason Lion. With FC at 0 you need more chlorine. After 2 days, it must be something else.

anonapersona said:
I am hesitant to disagree with Jason Lion
You aren't actually disagreeing. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I was trying to say that if it was metals it would have cleared up in 12 to 24 hours, so it is probably something else. There is a chance that it is still metals, and just needs more sequestrant, but that is no longer the most likely possibility.

The Metal Out did nothing. I'm really thinking it's tannins, like what was suggested. Why didn't I think of that?? That is the only thing that has changed this year, is those dumb leaves!

We have all of the leaves out, but the water still looks like tea. I'm backwashing and adding bleach, but I'm thinking this is going to take forever. Is there a quicker way? Should I use Floc? I know that many people here don't like it. I've never used it.

It's been around 90 here and we are dying to swim!

floc is used to help clear a cloudy pool. But ONLY if its cloudy due to dead algae particals or calcium. If its cloudy from lack of chlorine it wont do anything but waste your money!

I know you didnt add it, just wanted to post that incase someone else reads this and thinks floc may work instead of shocking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.