Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding water

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding water

Im thinking of adding some water tonight and i was wandering if I will have to add alot of chemicals. I will probably adding about 3 or 4 hundred gallons.
    Intex Easy set 18x48 pool
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding water

Depends on what's in your fill water, and how big the pool is. After you add the water and give an hour or two with the pump on to mix in, run your tests and see if you need to fiddle anything. (The most likely answer is "no" but only testing will guarantee that.)
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

300 gallons in 20,000 gallons = 1.5%

300 gallons in 5,000 gallons = 6%

Even if TA is 340 like my tap water, it won't make much difference in a larger pool. maybe in a smaller pool.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

ok added the water and rechecked everything. only thing that changed was the TA and Ph. ph has been around 7.5 or 7.6. a little low at 7.2 and ta has been at 120 and now 130. It says to lower TA u have to lower ph to 7.2 and aerate. Well it did that part for me on the ph so i didnt add anything to raise ph. I aimed return nozzle to the top of the water to try to aerate, and will have the kids splash tomorrow. how long should it take to get TA down?
    Intex Easy set 18x48 pool
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pitmanr2003
    ok added the water and rechecked everything. only thing that changed was the TA and Ph. ph has been around 7.5 or 7.6. a little low at 7.2 and ta has been at 120 and now 130. It says to lower TA u have to lower ph to 7.2 and aerate. Well it did that part for me on the ph so i didnt add anything to raise ph. I aimed return nozzle to the top of the water to try to aerate, and will have the kids splash tomorrow. how long should it take to get TA down?
    You'll have to check it every day and see... It varies depending on how much aeration is actually happening.
    -When my teenage son's have a party there's enough splashing that my TA goes down, and they have "parties" (meaning 4+ other teens) over 2-3 times a week.

Terry in NC (@the beach! )
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!