High Pressure and Low Flow Rate

Sep 7, 2009
Hi, I have been reading these forums for a while and they are great. I have learned much from everyone here.
I have a problem that started last year and is continuing now this year since I opened the pool.
My pool and filter are 11 years. Everything is original.
I clean the cartridges every year at the end of the season and then rinse them again before start-up.
Up until last year my normal pressure was always around 10-12 PSI and with this I would have great flow rate through the jets and the flow on my slide was also very good.
Last year, after backwashing the pressure would rise to 20 PSI after a few hours and the flow rate would be reduced.
If I ran the filter on backwash for just a minute or two, before any DE would even backwash out, and then return to filter normally, the pressure and flow rate would go back to normal for a few hours before the pressure rise and reduced flow rate would occur again. Even after backwashing I would get the same thing happening.
Last year before storing the filter for the winter I washed the grids with a grid cleaner I bought at the local pool store. When I took them out this year there was a lot of crystallized material on the grids that came off as I shook the grids. I spend a lot of time shaking this off until nothing else was left on the grids. I put the filter together and started running it. The pressure and flow rate were back to normal, 10 PSI and great flow, even after a few hours.
I let it run over night after shocking to kill the algae and the next morning the pressure was up to 25PSI and flow rate was terrible. I backwashed completely and recharged with DE and everything was good again for a few hours and then back to high pressure and low flow.
What can I do to solve this problem. I do not want to go through this for the whole summer.
Any suggestions that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.