tied up pool ?

M

marc abrigg

My parents have a 33000 gallon pool. They rely on pool stores to tell them what to do. I personally think they give them the run around. Right now their fc is 1.1, tc 2.2, Cya 130, ph 7.3, total hardenss 307. They are tell them they need to put 15 pounds of super sol and if that doesnt work 5 more pounds.They have put a ton of money into chlorine already. I guess the pool is tied up.

Confirming what FPM just posted, the "tied up" thing might come from pool store people not recognizing the debilitating issue of over-stabilization (too much CYA) and your folks pool certainly has that....probably more than 130ppm

If they intend to get their pool in shape, they will probably need to come here and learn about pool water chemistry. If they choose to believe the pool store folks, they are likely destined to have a troublesome pool all summer.

Honestly - no. You don't have enough FC - which is directly related to your CYA - refer to the chart in my sig...your CYA is too high and to try and maintain the "min" FC level would be impractical. Plus the high CC would be irritating.
Basically right now even though it's clear, it's not sanitary... sorry! :)

We need more information about the type of pool and your location. Ideally at least 50% if you trust that CYA result. Water tables need to be considered when draining - if it's a liner pool and you drain too much the liner can float - fiberglass they can pop out of the ground if there is a lot of ground water...

It's safe for most pools to drain down 1/3 and refill, recirculate, retest and repeat if necessary. If you get it in to the 60 CYA range you can manage there...

I would think 50% to start. Then refill, circulate and retest for CYA. Be prepared to drain that much again as I suspect your CYA is higher than 130.

There's no easy path here but their problem is probably the most common problem that is reported on this forum. The cure is painful but the reward is worth it.

If they learn the advice and methods here, they will save hundreds over the course of one season.

A word of caution.......convincing you of the benefits of BBB is one thing....you convincing them to come on here and read and learn may be something different. Lot's of people find it very troublesome to break old habits....me included!! :lol:

You can probably drain far enough down to leave 1 foot of water in the shallow end and be safe.
If you don't have your own test kit, you will need one. There are TWO that we recommend, you can read the comparison of them in Pool School...I recommend the TF100 because it's the better value for the money.

The reason you need your own test kit is described in the article about shocking the pool. Post back if you need clarification on anything :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.