Please help me estimate the volume of my pool

MomUv5

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2010
Memphis, TN area
I asked in a different thread, but I think it got lost in the plethora of information.

My pool is an in-ground vinyl rectangle. We measured it yesterday and it is 18' x 36'. I'm not at all sure of the average depth. The shallow end was 3' (measured a foot or so away from the edge), and under the diving board was 8 1/2 ' (or thereabouts). I've spent some time raking around in there looking for submerged gunk and also done some vacuuming. The bottom "corners" seem to be pretty rounded. I guess that's typical for vinyl?

I am eager to start using the pool calculator but a good volume seems vital.

Round figures, 24000 gallons. It can vary a lot, depening on the slop of the pool. Is the shallow end long, and then a sudden dropoff? Or is it pretty much a smooth grade? Are there any steps or swim shelves?

Use 24000 for now. If, after using pool calculator, you're not seeing the results you expect, try increasing or decreasing the volume on the calculator until the results match the estimate. You'll get close in a week or so.

Richard320 said:
Round figures, 24000 gallons. It can vary a lot, depening on the slop of the pool. Is the shallow end long, and then a sudden dropoff? Or is it pretty much a smooth grade? Are there any steps or swim shelves?

I don't know. We can't see through the murky nastiness. The steps at the shallow end are . . . :checking visual dictionary: . . . built-in steps. When we measured the length we did not include the steps. (Very helpful, that visual dictionary!).

Use 24000 for now. If, after using pool calculator, you're not seeing the results you expect, try increasing or decreasing the volume on the calculator until the results match the estimate. You'll get close in a week or so.

Sounds great! Thanks, Richard!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.