previous baqua user, just re-filled, waiting on test -HELP

May 29, 2010
Hi-
Thanks in advance for help--read pool school. Have used Baqua for last 3 yrs.- Drained & re-filled pool, (1/2 well water 1/2 city) changed sand in filter. Waiting on test kit. Pool store slosed today so I cant test water there. Started pump about 20min. ago. Should I go ahead & add some bleach & cya to start things off? Should get test kit tue or wed. Husband is getting irritated at me :( (I told him we need to switch to this method & I would be the chemist) ...heehee...so....please help. Thanks-

Salina, KS
1350 gal (15x30 AG rectangle) sand filter, sta-rite 1.5hp,

I'd go ahead and add some bleach. About three of the big Walmart 182oz jugs should get your chlorine to 13ppm which should control anything trying to get started. If you want to swim right away, I'd shoot more for about 5ppm. With no CYA, your chlorine will be consumed by sunlight fairly quickly. Note that your pool is more likely 13,500 gallons than the 1350 in your sig.

If I were you, I'd get a cheap test kit at Walmart to get through until you have a better one. Also get your CYA there. You'll need a little less than 7lbs total, so you'll probably need two jugs. Add it by placing some in an old sock and hanging it in front of a return or in the skimmer. I'd get about 5lbs in there at first. It will take about a week to dissolve, so have it tested after a week, and figure out how much more you need to get to around 40ppm .

ha!! Sorry about that!! Yes, it is 13,500 gal. My bad, left off a zero. I went to wally last night & purchased the bleach, CYA & Baking Soda so I am good to go there. I will run back & get a cheap test kit while I am waiting on the good one.

Thanks soooo much!!

Thanks--

I wont add any BS yet until I get a good test reading. Do you think I will have any problems with water discoloration like I have read about when people have switched from Baqua to BBB (Since I completely drained my water & changed sand) ??

Thanks again!!

Jeanie

I doubt you will see that much color change. I did that last summer, but left about 1 foot of water before refilling. I saw a little green on the first addition of chlorine, after that it was back to beautiful blue. It has been crystal clear ever since!

Lori

HI again-

so we put in the bleach & CYA on May 30th. Water looks pretty good. It's clear, you can see the bottom but it seems kinda dark. Dont know if that is normal. Still have not received test kit. Should I add more bleach? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

13,500K gal-15x30 vinyl AG- sta-rite sand 1.5HP
Salina, KS

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.