Will lowering TA remove scaling?

jt-cali

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 4, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
I have a pool that has scaling along the waterline. I just refilled 66% of the water last week as it had CYA at 90+ and CH was at 410. I have shocked at mustard level already using liquid chlorine and I think the water is balanced, but with TA at 130. Will lowering the TA to 70 help remove the scaling? Or should I just leave the water with measurements below.

FC=6 CYA=25 pH=7.6 TA=130 CH=210

PS:
I have 3 trichlor pucks in the water to raise the CYA to 30. Although they don't seem to be dissolving much after 3 days. In the past, a puck usually dissolves in a week.

Although the water is clear, there's blue-green spots all over the walls and floor. I think it's blue algae which I'm hoping will disappear after 4-6 weeks in this BBB method. I have previously posted about this problem but had high CYA at the time.

If you keep the water adjusted so that CSI is in the negatives, it will slowly dissolve some scale. I can see a difference on my pool walls after only 6 months! It didn't accumulate overnight, it's not going to go away overnight. You can speed up the process manually. Elbow grease and a pumice stone. Sorry. There ain't no shortcut. I tried a stainless steel pot scrubber and a sanding sponge in the hot tub. The pad is too hard to hold, the sponge loses it's grit too fast.

Get a pumice stone. They sell them at the pool store, of course, as well as at hardware stores. Possibly even if the grocery store, for ridding the toilet bowl of the waterline stains. If the water is yucky, maybe some rubber gloves. If you're doing it from the deck, something soft to kneel on will end up worthwhile. So will some Motrin, taken pre-emptively.

If you have any kids, scrubbing the waterline could be a good punishment.

If you have algae you need to shock the pool. You should check to make sure it is algae and not metal stains. Algae will be slimy, while metal stains will be smooth.

Scaling right along the water line usually needs to be removed by acid washing by hand.

How negative can I safely go for CSI, -0.30?

I've tried using a pumice stone. I didn't see much effect aside from the stone dissolving :).

I've tried spraying muriatic acid, followed by power washer. It removed quite a bit, 30%. But I've been told this will ruin the tiles/plaster. (Isn't this what an acid wash is?)

Kids... too young at the moment. I guess if time doesn't clear it, I have alternatives down the road :lol: .

For the algae, I did shock at mustard level 20-22. Overnight loss less than 1ppm for 2 nights before I stopped. Daytime FC loss was quite high, I'm assuming due to sun.
I've used Jack's Magic Stain ID kit and it wasn't conclusive. Same as puck test and Vit C test I did in this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/blue-black-algae-on-walls-floor-t18649.html

You can take CSI down to -0.6, you just need to be sure that it won't go lower.

Muriatic acid is what is used in an acid wash. It is capable of damaging plaster if you aren't careful. For small areas you should apply with a scrubber of some kind, to give you control over exactly where it is applied. Tile should not be affected, though grout will be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.