Help! Leaking Gasket w/ Video

Jun 27, 2009
Can someone please help me fix this? Water seems to be leaking from the rubber gasket between the return and the hose. :cry: The leak only occurs when the pump is on. Is the plastic fitting removable? What can I do to get a better seal? Any help is appreciated!

[youtube:1m8vjzkf]Y6HlSEREqNU[/youtube:1m8vjzkf]

It will probably be enough to fix it if you unscrew the connection, clean and lubricate the gasket with a silicone based pool/plumbers lube and put it back together again. While you have it apart, check that all of the surfaces the gasket presses against are clean and not cracked.

What he said.

I'll almost bet that the rubber gasket will be stiff and cracked. The good news is, it's probably a standard size that fits on a sink drain or something and will be available at a hardware store. When you reassemble it, be sure all the surfaces are clean and that the gasket has some sort of lubricant on it (but nothing oil-base, that causes most rubber to get mushy and swell) . It may also help it seal if the rubber is warm and pliable, so leave it lay on the patio in full sun for a while. Don't overtighten it, either - you'll just squeeze the gasket out, or tear it. And then it will leak much worse. All you want is enough pressure to cause the gasket to compress a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.