How tight should the connection be?

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
How tight should the connection be at the outlet side of the filter valve? I have a Jacuzzi 7-way dial valve, and there is a small drip at the outlet connection. When I turn off the pump, I can hear air sucking back into the filter, and I think it is at this connection. I'm going to replace the o-ring and re-tighten the connection. Should it be hand tight, or should I use channel locks and tighten it a little more? It seems to be hand tight now. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!!

The usual suggestion for threaded fittings is "hand tight plus 1 - 1 1/2 turns". For a union with an o-ring, I do hand tight + 1/8 - 1/4 turn.

I think you have a bad o-ring and replacing it, as you plan to, will solve the issue :cool:

I have good news and bad news. The instructions were written on the filter outlet, "Hand tighten plus 1/2 turn." I should always wear my glasses. The bad news....I did as per instructions, and, CRACK. It cracked at about 1/4+ turns. Your 1/8 to 1/4 is correct. When I get done with my little plumbing project....1/4 turn max. Good news, it's not cracked too bad and the extra tightening stopped the leak. Will replace compression fitting at my earlier convenience. Thanks. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.