Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How tight should the connection be?

1. Back To Top    #1

How tight should the connection be?

How tight should the connection be at the outlet side of the filter valve? I have a Jacuzzi 7-way dial valve, and there is a small drip at the outlet connection. When I turn off the pump, I can hear air sucking back into the filter, and I think it is at this connection. I'm going to replace the o-ring and re-tighten the connection. Should it be hand tight, or should I use channel locks and tighten it a little more? It seems to be hand tight now. Thanks.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How tight should the connection be?

Is that a compression fitting with a rubber o-ring that seals up against a flat surface on the other half of the connection?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

The usual suggestion for threaded fittings is "hand tight plus 1 - 1 1/2 turns". For a union with an o-ring, I do hand tight + 1/8 - 1/4 turn.

I think you have a bad o-ring and replacing it, as you plan to, will solve the issue
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have good news and bad news. The instructions were written on the filter outlet, "Hand tighten plus 1/2 turn." I should always wear my glasses. The bad news....I did as per instructions, and, CRACK. It cracked at about 1/4+ turns. Your 1/8 to 1/4 is correct. When I get done with my little plumbing project....1/4 turn max. Good news, it's not cracked too bad and the extra tightening stopped the leak. Will replace compression fitting at my earlier convenience. Thanks.