Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bug spray or weed killer in pool -- water is now cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

bug spray or weed killer in pool -- water is now cloudy

My water has been perfectly crystal clear. Yesterday, I sprayed Weed-B-Gone on my lawn, and also a lot of Spectracide insecticide. I used a broadcast sprayer hooked up to a garden hose. Later that day and night, and now this morning, my pool is cloudy. Its hard to make out the main drain. I tested the water (which was perfect), and the only change is that the Ph dropped to 7.2 from 7.6 yesterday mornng.

Chorine = 3
    Ph = 7.2
    Alk = 90-100
    Salt = 3000
    CYA = 55

I am out of Borax to raise Ph (I almost never have to raise it), but I have some soda ash from the pool builder, so I added some of that to increase Ph. My pump and filter run 24/7. Any ideas on how to clear this water? Do you think the weed killer or bug spray is the cause? Would they lower Ph? Thanks!!
    30,000 galllon, inground, vinyl liner, L-shaped pool
    1.5 hp pump, sand filter, heater, run pump 24/7
    Aquarite salt system
    St. Louis, MO, USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bug spray or weed killer in pool -- water is now cloudy

It is quite possible that some of the weed/bug spray got into the pool. You should raise the FC level right away up to about 12 or 15 and then watch the FC level to be sure it isn't falling too rapidly. That will speed up the breakdown of anything that got into the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School