Census Poll on Intex Users

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I'm curious to know how many of have an Intex and plan to only ever have an Intex (or other seasonal pool that is taken down each year). If there are enough of us, maybe it we worth a separate category for seasonal pools so we don't have to hunt through a lot of the stuff not relevant to us but can still leach of the wisdom of all these "real" pool owners. Talking here more about things other than keeping the water balanced -- stuff like site prep, tips to do with filling or erecting, hose adapters/converters to get a bigger pump, tips having to do with these styles that may not apply at all to the IG or real AG crowd, etc.

So ...... If you have an Intex, sound off and please indicate if you have an Easy Set (inflatable ring style); Metal Frame (white legs on blue vinyl style); or Ultra (looks most like a permanent AG).

I'll start:

For 2010 - 15 x 36 Frame Style

2009 - had 10 x 30 Easy Set

i just recently bought the intex 16x48 ultra frame w/SWG and i'm very pleased with the product after 4 weeks. so yeah, i'd be all for a thread dedicated to the intex pools. i did alot of research on this and other forums about the intex brand which meant going thru alot of pages looking for intex subject matter. it certainly would have been easier if us intex owners had our own thread. i love my pool! so do the kids....[attachment=2:3aoiul56]62663.jpg[/attachment:3aoiul56][attachment=1:3aoiul56]49396.jpg[/attachment:3aoiul56][attachment=0:3aoiul56]70001.jpg[/attachment:3aoiul56]

Attachments

• 62663.jpg
    62663.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 4,917
  • 49396.jpg
    49396.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 4,888
  • 70001.jpg
    70001.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 4,896
We have had an Intex pool for 3 years now. The first two years we had the 15' metal frame pool and just this year we bought the 20' Ultra Frame! It's great for the little bit of extra money to spend. We do have plans of buying a "real" AGP or IGP someday but we know that this is our first house and we are using these as our starter pools. Second year on BBB and never going back!! :party:

Just bought our first pool- a 16" round Ultra Frame. After spending a SOLID week on ground prep (sod removal, leveling, putting in recessed pavers for under the legs (the past 2 days were 10 hour days with the husband and 2 teens), we were able to assemble the pool only to find a very pinhole tiny leak near the bottom. Since we have water in it already, we patched inside and out. Will call Intex Tuesday and let them know it came that way so if there are any problems in the future they need to take care of it. As long as we have no further problems, we are planning on being Intex people! A forum just for people like us will be very helpful.

Well, we have had an Intex pool since 1997. seems like forever ago.
Started out with the 10' x 6' inflatable on the cement patio, that is where I learned about the styrofoam under the pool.
Then came the 12' EasySet but that lasted one year, too small!
Upgraded the next year to the 18' Easyset that lasted about 4 years.
Had 2 more 18' Inflatable Ring models from another Mfg, each lasted maybe 2 years.
(Got them on sale at Home Depot one year for 100.00 each.)
Would never buy anything made by that co. again.
Found an 18' Metal frame on Craigslist for 175.00 and had that for 2 years then sold it on Craigs list for 225.00 to a gal that just wanted the frame.
Saved her over 100.00 on buying the frame pieces for her pool plus she now had a spare liner and pump.
Last year upgraded our entire pool setup. Had a great area landscaped for the new 18' Ultra-Frame listed in my sig.
Pics of the landscape and pool can be seen here:
http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss119/mcoonan/Pool/
Before we upgraced to the Ultra, we were planning on putting in a perm. AGP but with our city's codes and regulations cannot.
So we will be Intex folks always as our city considers the pool as a toy.
Wish that the 24' had been available last year before we started this but to late now, no room on the deck for a 24'.
Hopefully I will finish up on my plumbing upgrades and skimmer install today. Look for the post either tonight or tomorrow!
Mike
PS, Jeff where did you get a 20' Ultra-Frame? I cannot find anything about them!

armywife1996 said:
It probably would be neat to have an Intex section of the board.

I'll second that :goodjob:

It would make the info we need to know about these type's of pool's much easier to find for sure.

But by the time we figure out how to hook a real filter and pump system up, it might as well be treated as any other type of pool.

The filter and pump hookups for these can sometime be the trickiest things to figure out. :hammer:

Having an Intex thread here would be really great! It would be nice to see some new ideas coming from Intex pool owners.

Oh!! I found the 20' Ultra Metal Frame pool at Wal-Mart. They have them there every now and again so you have to keep an eye out for them. I paid $499 for it there. Unfortunately my solar blanket doesnt fit from last year but oh well. I absolutely love it and am thrilled at the improvements on them from just the normal metal frame pool. Well worth the extra $$$$ to spend. :-D If you look for it on the Intex web page you will not find it. They only have the 16' and 18' Ultras even though there are the 20' and 24' Ultras out there.

Reactions: navymom2016
here is the family enjoying the pool![attachment=1:3ij37394]9003.jpg[/attachment:3ij37394][attachment=2:3ij37394]2367.jpg[/attachment:3ij37394][attachment=0:3ij37394]52859.jpg[/attachment:3ij37394]

Attachments

• 2367.jpg
    2367.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 5,295
  • 9003.jpg
    9003.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 5,287
  • 52859.jpg
    52859.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 4,822

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
and some more![attachment=2:1023c1hq]46579.jpg[/attachment:1023c1hq][attachment=1:1023c1hq]91620.jpg[/attachment:1023c1hq][attachment=0:1023c1hq]54184.jpg[/attachment:1023c1hq]

Attachments

• 46579.jpg
    46579.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 5,263
  • 91620.jpg
    91620.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 5,270
  • 54184.jpg
    54184.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 5,266
[attachment=2:1of94xug]21557.jpg[/attachment:1of94xug][attachment=1:1of94xug]15448.jpg[/attachment:1of94xug][attachment=0:1of94xug]96453.jpg[/attachment:1of94xug]

Attachments

• 21557.jpg
    21557.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 5,247
  • 15448.jpg
    15448.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 5,248
  • 96453.jpg
    96453.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 5,248
oops! forgot these...[attachment=2:2mbixf1n]75190.jpg[/attachment:2mbixf1n][attachment=1:2mbixf1n]19278.jpg[/attachment:2mbixf1n][attachment=0:2mbixf1n]32687.jpg[/attachment:2mbixf1n]

Attachments

• 75190.jpg
    75190.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 5,234
  • 19278.jpg
    19278.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 5,232
  • 32687.jpg
    32687.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 5,225
what i'm liking about my intex most is, well look at my water in the pics. i'm going into my 5th week of using my pool, heavily i might add on the weekend with all my grandkids coming over to swim, and my water is still crystal clear. the only thing i have done is add the 125lbs of salt the first day. the SWG has done the rest! ITS GREAT! :party:[attachment=1:3m5p9uea]73203.jpg[/attachment:3m5p9uea][attachment=0:3m5p9uea]11465.jpg[/attachment:3m5p9uea]

Attachments

• 73203.jpg
    73203.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 4,776
  • 11465.jpg
    11465.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 4,773
I just ordered an Intex Ultra Frame 16' x 48". It should arrive next week. I'll start digging the ground this weekend. I would love an Intex only forum. I had to dig through so many posts to learn about the pool. I'm so nervous about setting this pool up. Any help from more experienced veterans would be fantastic!

We have had an Intex pool for three years now and we love it. We realize that some see these as a "kiddie" pool but they are a lot of fun none the less. We upgraded to the 20' Ultra Frame pool and couldnt have been happier. I leveled the ground out as best as I could by hand. After we started to fill we could see where the low points were gonna be and placed 4"x6" wooden planks covered with industrial strength rubber around the planks underneath the legs that needed it.

kdoonan - congrats on your purchase and best wishes on getting all the prep work done. Last year I put a 10 x 30 on the grass and it was fine. This year, for a larger pool, I needed to remove the sod and level the ground. Although level, it was far from smooth. It is now quite uneven on the bottom of the pool even though we thought we had filled in with sand enough to smooth it out. Next year I'll buy a gorilla pad or something else to put under the pool. The problem caused by the uneven floor is that vacuuming is harder. Also just doesn't feel great under foot.

Note, however, I'm not sure if the gorilla pad is reusable from year to year.

crek31 said:
kdoonan - congrats on your purchase and best wishes on getting all the prep work done. Last year I put a 10 x 30 on the grass and it was fine. This year, for a larger pool, I needed to remove the sod and level the ground. Although level, it was far from smooth. It is now quite uneven on the bottom of the pool even though we thought we had filled in with sand enough to smooth it out. Next year I'll buy a gorilla pad or something else to put under the pool. The problem caused by the uneven floor is that vacuuming is harder. Also just doesn't feel great under foot.

Note, however, I'm not sure if the gorilla pad is reusable from year to year.

I agree. Next year I am going to purchase the 2 or 3 inch styrofoam sheets from Lowes and gorilla tape them together and see how that works. I have heard it works well. :D Yesterday I went to our illustrious pool store (Pool and Spa Depot) and asked if they maybe carried the FAS-DPD test kits and they looked at me like I had three heads! LOL I tried to explain to them what it was and they asked if it was the "dropper style" and I explained once again and the person behind the counter chuckled and said, "We don't get that technical here." I couldnt believe it and just told them thanks and left. Can you believe that??? "We don't get that technical here"? UGH So I guess for the time being I will just use the DPD kit I have.

kdoonan said:
I just ordered an Intex Ultra Frame 16' x 48". It should arrive next week. I'll start digging the ground this weekend. I would love an Intex only forum. I had to dig through so many posts to learn about the pool. I'm so nervous about setting this pool up. Any help from more experienced veterans would be fantastic!

I posted this in another area but I think that you might like it.
Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle.
4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a HD tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
Mike
PS, I did eliminate a few steps. Like go to store buy beer. Go to store buy AsperCreme for the aching muscles. Go to store buy more beer. LOL
PS here are some pics of my build last year,
http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss119/mcoonan/Pool/
I will be updating the pics this weekend as I now have installed a skimmer and some more plumbing.

THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!!
:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.