Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar cover a little too small. Expect any problems?

1. Back To Top    #1

solar cover a little too small. Expect any problems?

Last year the water was a little too cold to swim in for me except in the dead middle of the summer. I want to have a longer swim season this year. We've been looking at solar covers.

We just had our new vinyl liner installed and finished filling from our well yesterday (the ground water is a crisp 54 degrees). This am the chemistry was good - pH 7.5, FC 6, CC 0, TA 90, CH 110 put in enough stabilizer for CYA ~35 (will wait til next week to check). Overnight FC loss was 0 last night. The water is crystal clear. The water is still a crisp 70 degrees.

My main question is, I've been pricing solar covers. A 20x40 is about twice the price as a 18x36 that I found locally. I'm planning on cutting it into 3-4 pieces for easy on/off regardless of the size. Is it a big deal to buy the slightly undersized solar cover?

(in case someone asks - I had the well tested for iron last spring at a agricultural testing lab - there was none detectable)
    40'x20' IG vinyl, ~30k gal. pentair triton II sand filter. 3/4hp Hayward Super Pump. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar cover a little too small. Expect any problems?

It's not a big deal but it won't be as effective...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: solar cover a little too small. Expect any problems?

The smaller cover will still be about 80% of your surface, so you'll get about 80% of the benefit. Mine isn't 100% covered either but it has still made a big difference in evaporation and water temp.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page