Help! New to pool care and water is cloudy!

May 30, 2010
We received our pool near the end of the season last year. It is a 24' round pool. We used it for a couple of weeks, then got algae. We shocked it to get rid of the algae, and the pool went from cloudy green to cloudy blue. We were never able to get the cloudiness away, although the levels were fine.

When we took off the cover last week, the water was clear, but we could see a lot of debris at the bottom. We filled the water back up, turned on the filter (sand) and pump, added the initial dosage of chlorine, and the pool has been blue cloudy since. After a couple of days, we connected our vacuum and let it do its work.

I'm new to this website, and have already been trying some suggestions that I've been reading. I've been shocking the pool with chlorine (6%), and trying to maintain the levels. Here's my reading from this morning:
Free Chlorine: over 5.0 (my test kit only goes to 5.0)- I don't see any color change after the initial reading, so I don't think there is any CC.

pH: 7.8
Alkalinity: 120
Hardness: 350

Any suggestions? The Chlorine has been holding pretty well. I'm just not sure if I should keep shocking it, and how much I should use. Should I get some acid to bring the pH down as well? It was low yesterday, and I added Borax according the the pool calculator, and it took it a little high.

It (CYA) won't change....no need to retest....you'll still have zero today and the lack of it is contributing to your issues.

Your water can be cloudy for many, many reasons but the most likely by far is you have never shocked your pool properly. Shocking is a process that may take a few days and not something you can do with a single dosage. Without CYA, your chlorine is VERY qucikly depleted by the Sun and enopugh algae returns to keep your pool cloudy.

In Pool School, you should read "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" and "How to Shock your Pool".

Armed with that knowledge (and the answers we'll provide to your questions), You should be able to successfully shock your pool and get your water crystal clear for the remainder of the summer.

You will need to get a very good test kit. I have an agenda in that I manufacture one so I'll let others advise you on what to get.

Read that info and ask lots of questions. There are hundreds of folks here who will help you get your pool sparkling.

And most of us here use the TF-100 so any question you have can be answered quickly by users.

Meanwhile, you need to get CYA in your pool. Without it, the sun burns it up before it gets the pool clean.

All chemical dosages depend on your pool volume.

Okay, so I know I need a new test kit. If I order one through Dave, it will take some time to get here. Or, should I run to Leslie's and get one today? Is there anything I can do while I wait? I was going to run out to get some stabilizer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Went to the pool store and here are my numbers:

FC above 5
TC above 5
pH 7.6
TA 100
CYA 0
TDS 550
Phosphates 2500

She wanted me to buy something to bring down the phosphates. I've never even tested for phosphates. She said that the high level will encourage algae. Comments?

I know I need to add stabilizer. How much should I add? Do I put it in a sock?

Thanks for everyone's help! My kids (and I) are very anxious to get in the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.