Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! New to pool care and water is cloudy!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! New to pool care and water is cloudy!

We received our pool near the end of the season last year. It is a 24' round pool. We used it for a couple of weeks, then got algae. We shocked it to get rid of the algae, and the pool went from cloudy green to cloudy blue. We were never able to get the cloudiness away, although the levels were fine.

When we took off the cover last week, the water was clear, but we could see a lot of debris at the bottom. We filled the water back up, turned on the filter (sand) and pump, added the initial dosage of chlorine, and the pool has been blue cloudy since. After a couple of days, we connected our vacuum and let it do its work.

I'm new to this website, and have already been trying some suggestions that I've been reading. I've been shocking the pool with chlorine (6%), and trying to maintain the levels. Here's my reading from this morning:
    Free Chlorine: over 5.0 (my test kit only goes to 5.0)- I don't see any color change after the initial reading, so I don't think there is any CC.

pH: 7.8
    Alkalinity: 120
    Hardness: 350

Any suggestions? The Chlorine has been holding pretty well. I'm just not sure if I should keep shocking it, and how much I should use. Should I get some acid to bring the pH down as well? It was low yesterday, and I added Borax according the the pool calculator, and it took it a little high.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help! New to pool care and water is cloudy!

Welcome to the forum!

Can you test for CYA? (stabilizer)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I only have enough left to do the test once more. The two times I've tested (yesterday being the most recent), I get 0.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It (CYA) won't change....no need to retest....you'll still have zero today and the lack of it is contributing to your issues.

Your water can be cloudy for many, many reasons but the most likely by far is you have never shocked your pool properly. Shocking is a process that may take a few days and not something you can do with a single dosage. Without CYA, your chlorine is VERY qucikly depleted by the Sun and enopugh algae returns to keep your pool cloudy.

In Pool School, you should read "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" and "How to Shock your Pool".

Armed with that knowledge (and the answers we'll provide to your questions), You should be able to successfully shock your pool and get your water crystal clear for the remainder of the summer.

You will need to get a very good test kit. I have an agenda in that I manufacture one so I'll let others advise you on what to get.

Read that info and ask lots of questions. There are hundreds of folks here who will help you get your pool sparkling.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll have trouble maintaining your FC level (shock or otherwise) without any CYA.
    After reading the articles Dave mentioned (here's some links

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Shocking Your Pool

post back if you need clarification on anything.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    You'll have trouble maintaining your FC level (shock or otherwise) without any CYA.
    After reading the articles Dave mentioned (here's some links

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Shocking Your Pool

post back if you need clarification on anything.
    And go to Dave's signature and order a test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I second that...

This article:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison
    compares the two test kits we recommend... tho in my opinion the TF100 is the better buy.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

8. Back To Top    #8

And most of us here use the TF-100 so any question you have can be answered quickly by users.

Meanwhile, you need to get CYA in your pool. Without it, the sun burns it up before it gets the pool clean.

All chemical dosages depend on your pool volume.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay, so I know I need a new test kit. If I order one through Dave, it will take some time to get here. Or, should I run to Leslie's and get one today? Is there anything I can do while I wait? I was going to run out to get some stabilizer.

10. Back To Top    #10

You can let a pool store test for you. But don't buy anything until the forum says it is OK.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

11. Back To Top    #11

Went to the pool store and here are my numbers:

FC above 5
    TC above 5
    pH 7.6
    TA 100
    CYA 0
    TDS 550
    Phosphates 2500

She wanted me to buy something to bring down the phosphates. I've never even tested for phosphates. She said that the high level will encourage algae. Comments?

I know I need to add stabilizer. How much should I add? Do I put it in a sock?

Thanks for everyone's help! My kids (and I) are very anxious to get in the pool!

12. Back To Top    #12

Use the pool calculator to determine how much CYA to add.
    Ignore claims about phosphates - they are huge money makers for pool stores.

As long as you maintain the proper FC to CYA ratio - phosphates are irrelevant.