What to do about a really strong return flow

harry5170

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2010
Kelseyville, Ca
My one return jet flows so hard that it is causing real problems. It has an adjustable eyeball that is approx 3/4", and it is approx 12" below the surface. I don't think installing more returns is an option. The flow is so strong that even with it pointed down and away from the skimmer, it forms a vortex on the surface of the pool. Bugs that are sucked into this vortex are shot half way across the pool. Many of the bugs lose their buoyancy and sink to the bottom of the pool, creating a mess. I could thread something else that is larger in the return, but then I would have something people would bump into. Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in advance!

1) A larger eyeball size is needed to slow things. I suggest using 1" eyes.
2) A smaller impeller/seal set will slow things more. I suggest getting the ones for a 3/4 HP.
3) Your sig says 120 GPM. It's not You'd need 2.5" plumbing to get that much flow.

Items 1 and 2 will have two effects, they will slow the flow speed of the water coming out of the return and lower your electric bill. The motor might even last longer since it isn't straining.

Item 3 will likely become about 60-65 GPM by doing 1 and 2. It's currently more like 75 gpm.

Scott

I suspect that flow of 120gpm refers to the max flow rating for the filter.

Harry,

If that pump ever burns up, replace it with a 3/4 or 1hp pump. It's too big for your pool causing you to spend more for electricity.

The smaller impellor is a good idea on your existing pump....as is the larger eyeball. You may try removing the eyeball entirely but you will lose directional control of the flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.