Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump sucking air when using vacum

1. Back To Top    #1

pump sucking air when using vacum

for some reason my pump is sucking air when i start to vacum. at first i thought it might have been bad hose, but after having return my brand new hose back three times, and having both connection ends submerge underwater. i realized it must be something else. once i start to vacuum i get about five to ten min. of vacuuming before the pump just loses all pressure and i get no suction. at this point i must turn my pump off, remove the hose then restart my pump and allow the air to be removed. i replaced the gasket on the skimmer attach to the pump, because i saw that when turning on and off the pump a bit of water would spit out the side of the lid.

if anyone can think of a reason why this would happen, your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    16ft x 32ft depth 3ft to 8ft rectangle inground pool vinyl liner 21000gal. , 3/4hp pump/w 200lb sand filter and erosion feeder using 3in. trichlor tablets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump sucking air when using vacum

I had that problem at first too.

Here is how I got my vacuum to work.

-Put vacuum and hose in pool
    -put vacuum hose in front of return jet, don't need a tight seal here.
    -purge all the air out of the vacuum hose, you'll know when to stop as you'll see no more air bubbles coming from the end of the vacuum.
    -connect to suction line, keep the vacuum hose under the water.
    -start vacuuming, or watch the auto vacuum do it's work.
    -In the case of the auto vacuum, go have a cold beverage of your choice
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

I get that, too. The pump can push water out faster than it can pull it in through that long skinny hose. Pull the hose from the skimmer (keep it submerged) when it slows down, let it recover a bit, go crack the air bleed on the filter until water comes out, then put the hose back in and resume. I've also experimented a little with moving the three way valve to let some water in through the spa drain, enough to keep the filter basket full. I haven't decided yet if it works better with a full basket or not, the pool hasn't been real dirty.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by hemieli
    for some reason my pump is sucking air when i start to vacum. at first i thought it might have been bad hose, but after having return my brand new hose back three times, and having both connection ends submerge underwater. i realized it must be something else. once i start to vacuum i get about five to ten min. of vacuuming before the pump just loses all pressure and i get no suction. at this point i must turn my pump off, remove the hose then restart my pump and allow the air to be removed. i replaced the gasket on the skimmer attach to the pump, because i saw that when turning on and off the pump a bit of water would spit out the side of the lid.
    That's normal. The clear plastic top is NOT to be too tight either. When the pump is activated, the pressure seals the cover and a small bit of water is pushed out. When the pump is turned off, quite a bit of water escapes due to the release of pressure. Is your pump strainer still "spitting"? It should be.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

What kind of pool do you have? Is the skimmer the only water pickup?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

i have a 16x32 vinyl inground pool with a sand filter, 3/4hp pump, chlorinator, and one skimmer on the top and the drain at the bottom.
    @Crzyfrlss1 i always fill the line before connecting it to the skimmer. thats not the problem.

@Richard320 i dont have a bleed valve on my filter but maybe closing the valve from the skimmer could work. when i first plug in my vacuum, the suction is incredibly strong and maybe its not getting enough water. i will have to give it a try.
    16ft x 32ft depth 3ft to 8ft rectangle inground pool vinyl liner 21000gal. , 3/4hp pump/w 200lb sand filter and erosion feeder using 3in. trichlor tablets

7. Back To Top    #7

Does your drain have it's own line back to the pump or does it pass through the skimmer. If you aren't sure, look in the skimmer. Are both holes open, or is the one closest to the pool plugged?

Are you plugging the hose directly into the hole in the skimmer or using a skimmer plate?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

i changed the gasket in pump basket and the problem was fixed. still dont understand why it only happen when using the vacuum, but know the vacuum has great suction and it pump basket doesnt suck in air, or spit out water anymore.